TomG

Imprinter Use

Hi all,

Got a few questions.

Do any of you use the Tandy Imprinter machine for stamping? How well does it work?

Does anyone make one besides Tandy, or can I use an arbor press instead?

Thanks

Tom

Legacy Leathercraft

I have both, the Tandy imprinter and the arbor press. The Tandy is set up ideally for belts, you can keep the centering and squaring of the stamp (letters, etc,) consistent for the entire length of the belt if you wished to. Removing the guides leaves a decent sized platform to hold your leather for other projects like wallets. A good even impression is made although I wish it were deeper. You really have to crank on it. I have considered getting a length of pipe to put on the handle, just suffer from 'round-to-it' syndrome.

The arbor press gives a deeper impression because it is geared. Down side is you have to do some modifications, i.e. get an iron plate for your leather, make a guide if you are going to do things like belts and so on.

I have gotten deeper impressions with the heavy duty handle and a plastic faced hammer. Hold the stamp handle firmly, and give it several blows while tilting the handle slightly to the top, bottom and sides. Works good using a single stamp, not so good using multi-stamps like letters. Hard to keep alignment and impression even between letters.

Hope this helps!

Hi all,

Got a few questions.

Do any of you use the Tandy Imprinter machine for stamping? How well does it work?

Does anyone make one besides Tandy, or can I use an arbor press instead?

Thanks

Tom

Legacy Leathercraft

Thanks for the reply. The alignment issue is one of the main reasons I was asking about them. I do the 4-point tipping with the heavy handle when I stamp and occasionally have to restrike a few to get them even depth. But lining them up can be a chore.

Is Tandy the only one who makes or sells these?

Tom

I have both, the Tandy imprinter and the arbor press. The Tandy is set up ideally for belts, you can keep the centering and squaring of the stamp (letters, etc,) consistent for the entire length of the belt if you wished to. Removing the guides leaves a decent sized platform to hold your leather for other projects like wallets. A good even impression is made although I wish it were deeper. You really have to crank on it. I have considered getting a length of pipe to put on the handle, just suffer from 'round-to-it' syndrome.

The arbor press gives a deeper impression because it is geared. Down side is you have to do some modifications, i.e. get an iron plate for your leather, make a guide if you are going to do things like belts and so on.

I have gotten deeper impressions with the heavy duty handle and a plastic faced hammer. Hold the stamp handle firmly, and give it several blows while tilting the handle slightly to the top, bottom and sides. Works good using a single stamp, not so good using multi-stamps like letters. Hard to keep alignment and impression even between letters.

Hope this helps!

As far as I know Tandy is the only one that makes it. I bought a used one on E-bay, and then quite looking. The imprinter is a rather simple design, and has a high retail price. Thinking out loud here, is it possible to make a base and guide area to use with an arbor press ( they are cheap at Harbor Freight ) or even using this to align the stamps and do the 4-point tipping? Someone that works with 1/4 inch plate steel could probably make it. A machine shop might also be able to modify the square ram of the arbor press to accept the ram foot Item #32426-00. I think the total price would be much less than the imprinter if you wanted to go to the trouble.

Thanks for the reply. The alignment issue is one of the main reasons I was asking about them. I do the 4-point tipping with the heavy handle when I stamp and occasionally have to restrike a few to get them even depth. But lining them up can be a chore.

Is Tandy the only one who makes or sells these?

Tom

I don't think I'd have a problem making a guide similar to the one on the Tandy machine. I'm not sure how that ram foot connects though. I may stop by Tandy next week and take a look.

On the guide, a while back, I was playing around with an adjustable guide that would allow me to put a collar or belt in it and use one of the hand embossing wheels to make an impression the length of the strap, and keep it straight. Never got it off the paper stage.

As for pricing, I guess the high price is a demand thing. They probably don't sell a whole bunch of those....so the price is cranked up.

Tom

As far as I know Tandy is the only one that makes it. I bought a used one on E-bay, and then quite looking. The imprinter is a rather simple design, and has a high retail price. Thinking out loud here, is it possible to make a base and guide area to use with an arbor press ( they are cheap at Harbor Freight ) or even using this to align the stamps and do the 4-point tipping? Someone that works with 1/4 inch plate steel could probably make it. A machine shop might also be able to modify the square ram of the arbor press to accept the ram foot Item #32426-00. I think the total price would be much less than the imprinter if you wanted to go to the trouble.