lost okie

Hello From Oklahoma

I am a complete novice at leatherwork. I have been in the custom knife business for a long time and have always farmed out my sheath work. They do fantastic work, but I would like to start doing some special projects with my own hand. No power machines at this point, it will be all hand stitching. Reading and watching here to learn the things I need to know.

I am very familiar with metal working but leather is a brand new direction for me. Keep up all the great pictures and information, this is a really good place to learn from.

Hopefully my website will be showing some of my leatherwork soon.

lost okie

hey, welcome to LW, okie!

We love looking at handmade knives and sheathes, so you'll fit right in. And a new website to boot...cool

Welcome to the dark side, you'll enjoy this site.

Ken

from the looks of your knife making skill, you will not have any problem with the leather. Tandy Leather Factory of course handles an Al Stolhman book about hand stitching, which will tell you all you need to know about that, and I would say that hand stitching would be the best way for you, every stitch can be perfect. and they also have some books from Al Stolhman about building covers and boxes,, there are three of those books, very good information in them that would help you.

thanks for the encouragement; maybe something will soak through this empty head of mind. Got the books, just need to get after it.

Happy New Year.........ya'll

lost okie

I am a complete novice at leatherwork. I have been in the custom knife business for a long time and have always farmed out my sheath work. They do fantastic work, but I would like to start doing some special projects with my own hand. No power machines at this point, it will be all hand stitching. Reading and watching here to learn the things I need to know.

I am very familiar with metal working but leather is a brand new direction for me. Keep up all the great pictures and information, this is a really good place to learn from.

Hopefully my website will be showing some of my leatherwork soon.

lost okie

Were you in Tandys the other getting stuff to make knife sheaths? If you need help let me know. I will help get you started email themech12@sbcglobal.net

Hello from another 'okie' :cheers:

Maybe will run into ya at Tandy...they have some fun classes also. Make sure and get put on their mailing list and get a copy of their upcoming class schedule.

Kristen