Sign in to follow this  
little1983

Headstall?!?!

Hi,

can anyone of you please tell me how the buckle and the strap is fixed on the end of the headstall, when you use a buckle instead of an concho.?

would be great to know...

thanks

Little 1983

Hey Little,

Im not really sure which you are asking about, but I attached two different quick change headstalls that I think you might be thinking of. The first has a metal loop that is attached to the back portion of the cheek, pulled through a slit in the front side of the loop, and the strap from where the buckle attaches to the cheek is slid through. I think this style works fairly well, but outside of an arena, I wouldnt really trust it. I would be afraid something would hang on the strap and pull it from the loop, dropping the bit from the headstall. The second has a buckle which looks to be attached to the cheek piece by putting the higher buckle onto a long strap that can go all the way down through the bit and up into the lower buckle. The lower buckle may be attached directly to this long strap by just taking a small piece of leather, running it through the back of the buckle and sewing it to the long strap. I hope this all makes sense. Sorry I dont have any photos to explain exactly what I mean, but I havent made any of these since I dont really like them. If you are making them for a customer, then sure, but for my own preference, if I have more bits than headstalls, I just make another headstall lol. I much prefer to have a headstall and reins for each bit I own. That way I just pick it up and go, but thats just me.

If you have any other questions, I will do my best to help.

Have a good one,

CW

post-13764-062256700 1294082949_thumb.jp

post-13764-070264700 1294082981_thumb.jp

Edited by Aggiebraider

Hi,

can anyone of you please tell me how the buckle and the strap is fixed on the end of the headstall, when you use a buckle instead of an concho.?

would be great to know...

thanks

Little 1983

I think I know what you're after. I'll see if I can explain it. On the cheek piece, you will have your adjusting buckle on the top, then the bottom end will be your "tail" that will go through your mounting buckle. To mount your buckle you will take a short piece of leather with a slit in the middle of it and sew in on to the lower end of your cheek piece. You will lay the short piece flat on your cheek piece, with the buckle mounted in the middle and sew down both ends. Make sure you mount the buckle high enough so that your "tail" can come through the bit and back up to your buckle. I hope this makes sense. If not, PM me and I can draw it out for you.

I have seen them done with a Conway buckle. they look like this --->WHW210.gif Pointy end away from the face. :)