Hello everyone,

I am researching on making some biker chaps. I have made some westen style chaps and chinks and in looking around it seems that the biker style are cut a little different. Does anyone have or know where I may get some patterns? And also where I might look to get some good ideas? I would also like to hear some thoughts on differnt options as far as what is a good idea and what isn't.

Thank you for your time,

Rob Gerbitz

rob - as far as a pattern is concerned, i used my own (store bought from H-D) chaps as a pattern. do you know a friend that will loan you his pair for an hour?once you have the pattern cut, you can adjust the sizes for different customers accordingly. basically all that will change is the length and the circumference of the leg. the part i needed the most was the upper area of the pattern - the belt and the ties in the back.

to get some ideas, i'd simply google motorcycle chaps and see what different manufacturers offer as regards styling. go to the H-d website and see what they offer. i've noticed some really cool trims and accessories on some of the cowboy chaps on this forum that i could use on a motorcycle chap. i've also gotten some ideas as far as inlay (snake skin) from some of the knife sheath makers that i've seen.

imitation is the best form of flattery.

Hello everyone,

I am researching on making some biker chaps. I have made some westen style chaps and chinks and in looking around it seems that the biker style are cut a little different. Does anyone have or know where I may get some patterns? And also where I might look to get some good ideas? I would also like to hear some thoughts on differnt options as far as what is a good idea and what isn't.

Thank you for your time,

Rob Gerbitz

Rob,

I haven't looked at the actual patterns, but I saw a pack of motorcycle patterns in Tandy. Chaps was one of the patterns......well, I was going to give you the link, but the pattern pack at Tandy doesn't have chaps. I only saw western chaps.

I know I've seen them. Try a Google search.

Bobby

Try looking at these links.

http://www.bbarbwholesale.com/chaps-stock-motorcycle-chaps-gear-c-3_81.html

http://www.sewingwithleather.com/chaps.htm

I just bought some leather on sale and thought about making a pair for my wife. I have some to go by for ideas, but will probably just fit them to her to make the pattern. I'd hate to screw up the leather!head_hurts_kr.gif

Bobby

Motorcycle chaps are just a shotgun chap with the yoke cut different. The one i have worked on have the zipper stopping about the knee and 3 or 4 snaps to close the rest of the leg. If you have a shotgun chap pattern you have the pattern just change the yoke.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your time,

Rob Gerbitz

Rob,

I'm also interested in making some chaps, so I started gathering some info you might be interested in. I tried uploading a Word file, but the forum won't let me. I uploaded a picture I found that should help. If you send me your email, I'll forward you the other info if you want it.

Be sure to post some pics when you're finished. The inlays and custom stuff sound cool. I'm thinking about adding some tooling, not sure what else....maybe some flame appliqués.

Bobby

post-12097-099536300 1294707244_thumb.jp

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your time,

Rob Gerbitz

Rob,

I'm also interested in making some chaps, so I started gathering some info you might be interested in. I tried uploading a Word file, but the forum won't let me. I uploaded a picture I found that should help. If you send me your email, I'll forward you the other info if you want it.

Be sure to post some pics when you're finished. The inlays and custom stuff sound cool. I'm thinking about adding some tooling, not sure what else....maybe some flame appliqués.

Bobby

Thank you. It is all very helpful.

Rob