Sign in to follow this  
buckaroogal

Drilling Holes Thru Skirt & Tree

I have a saddle used in a drill team and the girls do some trick riding and need to hang off the rear strings. they do use beefier strings. Can you give my advise on drilling holes thru the skirts & tree? Does the hole need to be the same diameter as the width of the string? Will there be any concerns? if the tree is wooden or fiberglass? thanks.

Buckaroogal,

The only straps that I know of used by trick riders off the back of the saddle are what are know as a tail drag strap. Do not use any type of saddle strings -- period!!!!! Safety first. This should only be done by a highly qualified saddle maker to an existing trick saddle. A word of caution – trick riding straps should not be used on a standard western saddle for any trick riding. The use of a saddle that is not designed for trick riding is completely unsafe and the saddle maker who makes the modification could be held legally liable. A word the wise.

That being said here's how.

Tail drag straps should be 1" wide doubled and stitched. The strap is one piece. A 1" slot is punched or cut into the rear jockey just below where the rear concho would generally be positioned and the strap passed under the rear jockey to the other side and attached with a ss screw just above the slot. The rear concho can be used. The ends are attached to 1" stainless steel dees attached with a screw at the point of the cantle. A conway buckle is used for adjustment.

See the attachment

Bob

post-13361-002336100 1294722884_thumb.jp

Edited by BOB BRENNER