Sign in to follow this  
KT Good

2 Rawhide Hondas

Here are two of my hondas:

This one is pretty light and fast. It came off an 8mm poly. It has been pretty well used.post-17327-048083000 1295140374_thumb.jp

This one is a little heavier. I haven't used it yet.post-17327-078215400 1295140402_thumb.jp

That used one is so polished it almost looks wet! I really like the way you finished off the lacing on the wear leather. That is a real nice touch. The other one is also beautiful, and it's great that you use your stuff. Very nice work.

I like the top hondo the best. I really like the way you laced on the burner. I personally like them even heavier than those.

Good work.

Rob

Thanks for the input. I also like a pretty heavy one because the wind is always blowing out here, it gives a little weight to a rope.

Nice looking hondas. Outstanding job on the burners. If you want to really add some heft wrap it with wire under the burner.

Those look nice and I really like how the burner is laced on the first one.

Nice looking hondas. Outstanding job on the burners. If you want to really add some heft wrap it with wire under the burner.

I've got one stretching right now. I may have to try wrapping with wire just for the heck of it.

Edited by ljensen

I have not ever tried wire, but I do wrap some rawhide under the burner. It feels good and it makes it look a lot nicer too.

I like your Hondas very much! the braiding from 4strand braid u1,o1 to 8 braid u2,02 looks very equal, how did you do this?

when i make my hondas, i ever have an over3 or an very unequal braiding in the transition...

Michael

I start the 4 strand in the middle then bring it around so that the "high" strings (the next one to be braided) are on the inside. In order to get this, I braid a little extra then undo some to sort it out. I start braiding from there in order from inside to outside. There is great drawing of how to start the 8 string braid in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding. Plate 47. Eight-String Square Braid Without Core. I have better luck starting it in my hands, then I put a dowel through it to tighten and finish off the braid U2, O2.

Thanks for the compliment.