Sign in to follow this  
bison

First Sheridan Design

This is my first original Sheridan style design. It is for a small notebook cover. I started out trying Sheridan carving about a year and a half ago using Tandy Craftaids, then Chan Greer's patterns, then copying bits and pieces of some of the great work here. I got pretty good at copying others work. Yesterday, I was visiting the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum here in Oklahoma City (I live about 30 minutes away) and was looking at some of the saddles and it was like something clicked. I suddenly "saw" the patterns in the leather. I stayed awake last night thinking about this and drew it this morning. It obviously has a lot of Chan's influence, and it's pretty traditional, but it finally "makes sense" as I put it on paper. I know there are things that I need to correct and improve on, and that's why I posted it here, so please point out where I need to make those corrections.

Dave

post-14241-081558600 1295551714_thumb.jp

This is my first original Sheridan style design. It is for a small notebook cover. I started out trying Sheridan carving about a year and a half ago using Tandy Craftaids, then Chan Greer's patterns, then copying bits and pieces of some of the great work here. I got pretty good at copying others work. Yesterday, I was visiting the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum here in Oklahoma City (I live about 30 minutes away) and was looking at some of the saddles and it was like something clicked. I suddenly "saw" the patterns in the leather. I stayed awake last night thinking about this and drew it this morning. It obviously has a lot of Chan's influence, and it's pretty traditional, but it finally "makes sense" as I put it on paper. I know there are things that I need to correct and improve on, and that's why I posted it here, so please point out where I need to make those corrections.

Dave

EXCELLENT!!!! I just hope that it "clicks" with me someday! I've been at it for years and still cut and paste! You're a lucky fellow.

pete

You're off to a good start. Sheridan has always been my favorite. I still have trouble drawing my own patterns - it takes me forever! Also, I'm no expert, but I did notice that your top 3 leaves and stickers don't seem to originate from anywhere. They just seem to be abruptly stuck in there. I like to see one flowing vine, with leaves and flowers all swirling off from a main stem, with no interruptions along the way. Do you have the Sheridan book by Likewise? You can follow his main stem all throughout the photo on the cover, from one end to the other.

The more you study the work of others, the more stuff you notice...

Hope I was a little helpful.

Hilly

Thanks Pete, I appreciate it. The older I get, the less "clicks" there are!

Hilly, you are right on about that top group. And I can see where that applies to the second group as well, now that you point it out. I appreciate the comment, thank you!

Dave

Get the book Sheridan Style it goes over a lot of the style and has a lot of pictures too look at. Look at your circle of leaves and notice how everything flows to the center, now look at the leaves on top and see how they don't flow towards the center at all. Try to make your stems fatter to achieve this. Like in this piece, notice how all the leaves flow to center and to get them all together the stem is fatter.

PICT0596.JPG

Edited by Reaves Leather

Thanks for posting that photo Jason. It's great work. I've got the book and have been reading through it for a while. I finally got to the point where I was ready to put something on paper and needed the eyes of other more experienced folks to point out what was missing. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with your comments.

Dave

I've made the changes you all were kind enough to point out needed to be made. If anyone has any more critiques, I'd love to hear them.

post-14241-068300400 1295822637_thumb.jp

Thanks for your help!