hivemind

Ok, That's It!

I did my first on-site vending in a while on Saturday, and grossed about $1500. I could have done more except that I ran out of stock.

I need a damned sewing machine. I have to use my limited time more wisely.

I'm pretty well set on a Tippmann Boss as my first machine. What I don't know is what I should be buying with it. The heaviest thing I'm sewing is knife sheaths that are three layers totaling 24-28 ounce (8-12-8). I like thick thread, because that's what I hand sew with now, but not married to it. Are there particular accessories or spare parts I should be getting with it? Should I be buying from somewhere else besides direct from the factory?

Any help is appreciated.

I did my first on-site vending in a while on Saturday, and grossed about $1500. I could have done more except that I ran out of stock.

I need a damned sewing machine. I have to use my limited time more wisely.

I'm pretty well set on a Tippmann Boss as my first machine. What I don't know is what I should be buying with it. The heaviest thing I'm sewing is knife sheaths that are three layers totaling 24-28 ounce (8-12-8). I like thick thread, because that's what I hand sew with now, but not married to it. Are there particular accessories or spare parts I should be getting with it? Should I be buying from somewhere else besides direct from the factory?

Any help is appreciated.

Here's my two cents worth. In a couple months you'll be sayin "Damned I need a bigger and faster sewing machine". I say go for the max you can afford now, I'm not knocking any product but motorized sewing machines are the way to go. You can slow them down and have a nap between stitches literally and both hands are free to control your project. There are several machine dealers on this site that can offer better advise than I can. These machines can sew from paper thin leather to 7/8 of an inch. If you grossed $1500 on the weekend and think of how long it took you to prep your wares, you'll more than make up the added expense of acquiring a motorized machine.

two cents only but 'ben thar'

Layo

I love my Tippmann, but I gotta agree w/ Greenwood. There's a LOT to be said for holding a project with both hands and sewing instead of "hold...pull half way....position....hold...reposition...hold...stitch". Do I regret the purchase of my Boss? Not a bit. I use it as my portable machine (really, it's the only one I have), and set up at the store I sell through. And, you'll not likely be able to take a powered machine to a show with you. But....being able to set the needle once and just start sewing....oh, sweetness. I'm saving up (still) for a Cobra 4, and will keep the Boss. There's some things that it just does better, IMO. Other things, like long runs.....get a motor.

If you do decide on the Boss, definitely get at least one additional foot...I like the center foot, but YMMV. Also get the edge guide. I don't have it yet but could have used it on many projects. I also use the stirrup plate, but for sheathes and such, it's not such a big deal. If you like big thread, look at using 346 thread top and bottom with a 250 needle. If you use one size smaller on the bottom, use a 230 needle, and a cordless drill because you'll be winding bobbins pretty frequently.

Also, spend some time on here reading about the issues that folks have had with them. One of the better ones for diagnosing stitching issues is by Particle, and titled "let's see the back sides.....", talking about the back side stitches of projects. There's a lot of really useful info in that thread on what to look for and how to adjust things. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22058&st=15, thank you Denster and Dwight.

I'll be honest, one of the reasons I want a Boss is that they seem to resell really well. My inability to buy one used over the last few months for less than about $900-$1000 means that I think that if this one isn't enough, I can buy a bigger one and dump this one fast for 3/4ths of what I paid for it.

That said, I'm willing to entertain recommendations for other machines, but my budget for this whole project is about $1500...

Definitely sounds like a Boss is in your future then. Plan on a little extra for needles and thread. ~$50 or so should cover you. I got me needles from Campbell-Bosworth, since they have a good selection of them.

The way I set mine up is completely portable. I mounted the machine to a base, added felt feet, and just clamp the base in two places to a table where ever I want. Table, bar/counter top, etc.

T

Am I better off with something like a Techsew GA5-1R?

Hell with it, this makes my head hurt. Just bought a Boss and made the business AmEx squeal in pain.

Hell with it, this makes my head hurt. Just bought a Boss and made the business AmEx squeal in pain.

You will like it. A powered machine is nice if you do long stitch runs or larger projects where throat depth is an issue. Speed is not a factor as you can sew as fast on the Boss as most folks run their powered machines. If you like plump stitches, I do, then 346 top and 277 bottom makes a nice plump stitch and you have to wind bobbins less frequently. On needles get the Smetz S type chisel point needles for leather. I like bonded poly thread better than nylon because I find it runs through the machine smoother. A left presser foot and center foot are nice to have. Skip the stirrup plate it is a waste of time. Some folks like the edge guide I don't. If you want one let me know and I'll sell you one cheap. If you have any problems don't hesitate to call Tippmann they will bend over backwards to help you out. Or PM me and I'll try to walk you through a solution.

You are right about resale value. Keep it clean and oiled and you can use it for a long while and still get most of your money back.

Got an email from them, they're shipping it today. If I'm lucky, it'll get here before the wife gets home... :)

I picked one up off craigs list locally a couple of weeks ago, apparently sombody loaned money, took the machine for payment and wanted what they had into the loan...

$500... :specool:

The machine appears new but the tensioners were out of whack, it had size 69 thread in a 200 needle with maybe a 207 in the bobbin... and basically needed to be set up properly. Thanks to Particle who through some PM's helped me get it going. Last week I sewed a leather day planner with it, made out of some old split I had laying around. Did not want to try on a sellable piece for the first run. It took a bit of playing but after a bit of adjusting I finished with a pretty decent stitch. I restitiched an old pattern holster I had laying around just to do a time comparison... that original took 2+ hours to hand stitch.... finished it in about 12 minutes on the boss and my hands were not sore. again,... I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT...

Let us know when you get it and how it works out for you

RW

Awesome man, that's what I'm talking about. I want a knife sheath or a dagger scabbard to go from two hours to 15 minutes. I want helmet construction time to go from three hours to 30 minutes. I need to start busting out some serious volume (in my basement shop, in my spare time :) )

Playing with the Boss. This here is two lames of a helmet:

DSC01770.JPG

That connection used to be eleven rivets and fifteen to twenty minutes of my life. With the Boss, that took less than three minutes. No hole punching, ho hammering, just some pulling on a lever.

I loves me some technologies.

That looks great.

What thread size are you settled on. I have tried 138 up through the 346... doing first saleable item tonight on it... a holster for glock, using 346 with 8 oz light brown... have done a couple camera cases, notebooks and other small items with the boss and so far, not looking to go back to hand stitching any time soon. :guitar:

Edited by Huntbuck

I dunno. I haven't really made anything I'd sell on it yet, and haven't' settled on anything other than using black thread not white. Tried a whole helmet yesterday, but clearly my pattern needs tweaking for machine sewing because it's freaking HUGE. I"m going to sew up a leather bottle today and see how that goes.