Sign in to follow this  
AtkinsHorses

What Do I Need

As some of you may remember I also posted about what sewing machine I needed, Bob helped me pick the perfect machine for me and I appreciate his help greatly!

But OH my gosh I am in over my head I tell you, all these tools have my head spinning, I don't know which to get. I have the book "Leathercraft TOOLS" by Al Stohlman and I have read it cover to cover.

I didn't know there were so many tools and they all can do a lot of things.

My question is which tools do I NEED that is not optional in any way, I will be making custom leather horse halters, some cattle halters but not many and also some dogs collars, minor minor leather repair, I'll be doing a lot of stamping and rivet, conchos, crystals and all that fancy stuff.

I will be cutting my leather from 8-9 ounce skirting leather so y'all know what I need but I don't, I really want to get what I need to make my job easier.

Thank you so much! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I would use 10 / 12 ounce for the halters. You need a strap cutter, round knife, edgers, end punches, bag punch for your buckles, maul or mallet to drive your punches with, glue. cutting board, hole punch, work bench and hardware to just get started.

The only place that i ever double or triple a halter is on the cheek pieces and the connector from the throat to the chin. Even then you only have one thickness of leather going through the square or ring. You can line them with 3/4 ounce leather on the crown, nose, throat and chin to dress them up if you want to. Oh you might want to get a skiver to taper the ends down where the lap over. But you can do that with a round knife.

The only place that i ever double or triple a halter is on the cheek pieces and the connector from the throat to the chin. Even then you only have one thickness of leather going through the square or ring. You can line them with 3/4 ounce leather on the crown, nose, throat and chin to dress them up if you want to. Oh you might want to get a skiver to taper the ends down where the lap over. But you can do that with a round knife.

If you're not in Hazard County can I ask you a question about halters? (My wife is from NC and has lots of kinfolk in Democrat, outside of Weaverville, told me to watch what I say to anyone from Hazard County)