Sign in to follow this  
BConklin

Uses For 6-7 Oz.?

I was up at the "local" Tandy store yesterday and I bought a very nice double shoulder in 6-7 oz. ...in retrospect I'm thinking it might be too light for holsters.

I'd appreciate recommendations as to what it would be good for - is it too light for gunbelts?

Two layers of 6/7 oz. can make a very nice gun belt, cemented and stitched together.

6/7 works quite well in holsters for smaller, lighter handguns. 6/7 makes a good IWB-style holster for many applications. 6/7 can also be lined with 2/3 or so to make good lined holsters.

6/7 works very well for magazine and ammunition pouches.

Lots of uses.

actually i use to use the tandy 6-7 shoulders when i first started doing leatherwork. after now using 7-8/8-9 i find that 6-7 is too light other than for holsters of smaller lighter handguns. i am however getting ready to start making belts for my concealed holsters and was going to use 6-7 and attach 4-5 to the inside. as far as a cowboy rig belt it may too light alone, but double it up and it should be fine.

Tony

I agree w/Lobo and Troop. I use 6-7 oz. for the outside piece of a pancake holster for the lighter weapons, such as Kel-Tec-9, S&W 642 and the featherweights. A holster is a pocket to carry a weapon is all. Take that piece of 6-7 and try to tear it in half with your hands.(send the video, I wanna see it). It does hold the molded shape and it will carry the weapon fine. Again, a lot of holstermakers have overlooked a treasure trove when they say that the 6-7 is too lightweight. I probably wouldn't use it for a fullsize steel 1911, but I would use it for a alloy (Kimber) or the lightweight class of larger caliber weapons. JMHO Semper-fi Mike

Thanks for the feedback folks. It is a nice piece of leather...I'm thinking the first project I'll use it for is doubled up for a gunbelt.

actually i use to use the tandy 6-7 shoulders when i first started doing leatherwork. after now using 7-8/8-9 i find that 6-7 is too light other than for holsters of smaller lighter handguns. i am however getting ready to start making belts for my concealed holsters and was going to use 6-7 and attach 4-5 to the inside. as far as a cowboy rig belt it may too light alone, but double it up and it should be fine.

Tony

Hey Troop,

I use double layers of 6/7 for concealed carry gun belts. It seems like this is a pretty good combination. Not too heavy but it can still hold up to the largest handguns.

Jeff

gonna get with Matt from Wickett and Craig this next week at Wickenburg. was looking at some 4-5 and combining it with 6-7 for concealed holster belts. the doubling of the 6-7 isnt' too thick for the average jeans belt loops? seems kinda thick for that application but if it works i'd try it.

Tony

gonna get with Matt from Wickett and Craig this next week at Wickenburg. was looking at some 4-5 and combining it with 6-7 for concealed holster belts. the doubling of the 6-7 isnt' too thick for the average jeans belt loops? seems kinda thick for that application but if it works i'd try it.

Tony

Yeah. My opinion - double layers of 6/7 is just about perfect for concealed carry gun belts.

I made my IWB for an all steel, govt. 1911 out of a 6-7 single shoulder I got from Tandy. Handstitched, molded and boned. I wear it just about every day and it's holding up fine. Is it duty rated? Of course not. But, it IS 1. thin enough to be comfortable, and 2. firm enough to securely hold the pistol.

Although, if you really don't want that 6-7, you could just ship it to me....

ok, i was gonna get some 6-7 anyhow, so i'll give it a try guys, thanks

Tony