Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Pull The Dot Snaps?

Just curious how many of you use these on your holsters.

If so, where do you buy them... and are they set with the tools as regular line 24 snaps?

Also, I'd like to buy some in black but I'm only finding them in quantities of 100+. Right now I can't justify spending that much on snaps. Does anyone sell them in smaller quantities?

Just curious how many of you use these on your holsters.

If so, where do you buy them... and are they set with the tools as regular line 24 snaps?

Also, I'd like to buy some in black but I'm only finding them in quantities of 100+. Right now I can't justify spending that much on snaps. Does anyone sell them in smaller quantities?

try sailrite.com , many fasteners are used in boating usually stainless steel

Springfield Leather has them for 1.50 or so per set. I have some on the way. I have horrible luck with the Tandy Leather Factory snaps, they just wont form right for me.

I found black ones at Paragear.com, and only had to buy $25 worth. The gentlemen at woolfegunleather.com also sells them individually, if you just need a few.

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and ordered 100 sets from Dot Fasteners.com

They had the military black that was looking for...

http://www.dotfasteners.com/pull_the_dot.html

Even though my order was $80 shipped, I figured that's 0.80 per set (4 pieces) instead of $2 or whatever some other places are charging... Plus, they should last me for a while!

The shipping took about a week and customer service was great about answering the phone and getting me a tracking #

Thanks Bronson!

i've looked at few different types of snap setting tools but I really don't use the snaps often enough to justify the cost.

So far I have been very pleased with how the Dot snaps set with the little manual setter and anvil that I have. It's the same tool I use for the line 24 snaps, only the Dot snaps seem to set much easier / neater than the cheaper Tandy type snaps.

That tool is a Pres-n-snap. Man, I don't know how I ever lived without one. It was the best $125 I have ever spent on a single tool.

That tool is a Pres-n-snap. Man, I don't know how I ever lived without one. It was the best $125 I have ever spent on a single tool.

Perfectfit.com has the kit (with dies) for $106.00. You'd still need the special pull the dot die though. I never had luck setting the pull the dots with the little punch and anvil doohicky.

Bronson

I do both Line 24 and Pull the Dot, so it was worth it to me. It gives such professional results and saves so much time. I can't even begin to tell you how many snaps I have ruined or had to redo before I would send a holster out. The old anvil and punch method just doesn't cut it fore holsters, in my opinion. Some kind of a press and dies is really the only way to go. With the Pres-n-snap, I can be finished with a job, before I would even be all set to take my first swing with a punch and anvil. LOL, it's one of those tools I resisted buying and then wondered how I ever got along with out one.

Here's my little tip of the day -

I found that if make two TINY snips on either side of the snap posts ( the part that's being pushed down to secure the snap pieces) the snaps will set MUCH easier.

I was having bad luck with my snaps being off center and just plain ugly. When I give the post part a little snip with my shears it insures that my snaps won't end up sideways or off center... as far as I can tell, it does not compromise the strength of the snap.

I still plan to add the Press'n Snap tool to my arsenal, but for now this is the method I use.