I was wondering if we could shed some light on blue guns to fit real guns. Particularly in the 1911 department. Where do the Kimbers, Taurus, Wilson Combats etc fit into the Colt and Springfield blue gun line up? Ambi safeties?

What's the difference between the Colt and Springfield blue guns (the only 1911 blue guns available)? Is it in the length and width of their dust covers? Unfortunately I don't have access to any guns right now so I can just compare them side by side. Any help is appreciated.

I'd like to be able to send out well-fitting holsters for requests I have, but I don't have the opportunity to fit test with the real gun before shipping it out. I need some help matching blue guns to real guns. Thanks

From what I have and have seen repro pistols are configured stock only, any only for the model rings and others list, if any mods have been made or if they don/t make a specific pistol, you will most likely need the real deal. Hope I got the gist of your inquiry corectumundo.

One of the biggest issues I've noticed with the semi-customs is that below the dust cover, a lot of them now have an accessory rail. That rail is not present on ANY Colt's that I've seen, nor on any other mil-spec 1911 ( Armscor, Springers, etc.) Similarly, older Sigs don't have the rail, the new ones do. If I was in a position to get blue guns, I think I'd opt for the 'no rail' models, and just make a small attachable/removable piece to accomodate customers that have the rail. Of course, then you'll have someone asking for a holster for their CQB with the light/laser attached.

Mike

"Where do the Kimbers, Taurus, Wilson Combats etc fit into the Colt and Springfield blue gun line up? Ambi safeties?"

There are multiple length 1911 pistols in production from a myriad of different companies. They generally break down into the following lengths:

5": 1911 configurations like the Colt 1911, 1911a1, 1991, etc. with a standard right handed safety.

4 1/4": The Colt Commander, some pistols from Para Orsnance, and several custom pistols are this length.

4": Kimber Pro Carry, Springfield Champion, etc. are this length, but Ring's doesn't make a dummy gun for these (call and request it; it can't hurt).

3 1/2": Colt Deffender, Springfield Micro, and several others are made in this length.

"What's the difference between the Colt and Springfield blue guns (the only 1911 blue guns available)? Is it in the length and width of their dust covers? Unfortunately I don't have access to any guns right now so I can just compare them side by side. Any help is appreciated. "

The Springfields have slightly wider dust covers than most 1911's. The length is, for all intents and purposes, the same.

"I'd like to be able to send out well-fitting holsters for requests I have, but I don't have the opportunity to fit test with the real gun before shipping it out. I need some help matching blue guns to real guns. Thanks"

The good news is, if the blue guns are out of spec, they are usually smaller than the real thing due to shrinkage from the casting process. This means your holsters will mold a little tight, if anything. That's better than being loose.

Thanks Boomstick and Jordan.

I think I should have explained myself better. For example, if a customer wants a 5" Kimber holster - should I mold with a Springfield or the Colt 1911? I was wondering if the models that don't have blue guns are better to mold with a particular gun. So, seeing as the Springfields usually have a wider dust cover, probably go with the Colt since as you said smaller is the better side to err on. Unless they want a 5" Springfield...then use the SA :D

You've pretty much got it figured out. The Springfield 1911A1 from Ring's does have an extended ambi safety, so that might be something to consider. Other than that, you know as much as we do. There are so many 1911 variants that it would take forever to check them all. Some times the best thing to do is talk to the companies that produce them and ask questions about specs. I defininately want to encourage everyone reading who makes holsters to call rings and request a Springfield Champion and a 4" Operator. They are sorely missed models in the world of dummy guns.

While it's a little more expensive way to do it, I prefer option B. Buy one 1911 of each model so you can build accurate holsters :Lighten:

You could wear a different one every day! like some ladies and their shoes, I would need custom grips to match my outfits. LOL Do they make levi and T shirt grips?

While it's a little more expensive way to do it, I prefer option B. Buy one 1911 of each model so you can build accurate holsters :Lighten:

lol Well the only problem with that is they don't make blue guns for all the real models out there.

Boomstick, if I got it close to right, the dust cover width on the SA specs to .741". I do liket hat it does account for the ambi safety and resembled the CDP II in features more closely than the standard Colt 1911. Especially in that it'll be C&L on a sweat guard.

Ok let me see if I can explain this. If your holster is going to have the sweat guard then by all means use the Springfield cocked and locked model blue gun as when you form the gun in the holster the "imprint " of the thumb safety will be in the locked position which helps when the "real " gun is used to help keep the safety in the locked position. Also I don't know if you know of this little trick or not but Gary Brommeland taught me this when I stared making holsters that is I mold my holsters on the tight side, and when they are finished the gun should have a snug fit. If it is tight then to wrap the gun in one layer of wax paper with the wax side out and put the gun un the holster overnite. The next day you should have a holster that fits your gun perfectly and has some wax residue to help " slick up " the inside of your holster. I hope this helps.

Best,

Rhome

lol Well the only problem with that is they don't make blue guns for all the real models out there.

I wasn't talking about blue guns....like I said- a little more expensive LOL

Thanks Rhome - that's a good point about the safety position.

TwinOaks, that totally flew over my head lol It was late, but yeah, that'd definitely be expensive. I suppose I could write them off as supply but then they could never leave my work area! :o

Next project would have to be a great big range bag to lug them all to and from the range, cause you would need to do a lot of R&D. LOL

And a small forklift for the ammo cases...which could be cured by installing an underground range in your backyard...Oh dear, I see this going in a bad direction....

Ohh yeah - that'd be a great setup :banana:

Ohh blue guns..the dust cover on the Commander is actually specing out .01" wider than the Springfield. Hmmm....

Edited by Shorts