Stringer

Casing Horsehide

Trying to case some horse butt I got from Springfield. Anybody have an opinion? Does it seem to dry out really quick? Is this characteristic of horse or is it more the lack of thickness of the hide?

Thanks in advance. I've really enjoyed reading the posts and I'm inspired by so many of you!

Yep, it's different.

Use very warm, not hot, water to case. It does seem to dry much faster, but you should be able to work it cased.

It's been more than 10 yrs. since I was working at a large holster making operation where we used large buckets of heated water.

I've been using a casing solution with water, Lexol, baby shampoo and Listerene, for the last several years. If it was me, I'd use that.

Do tests for yourself, and form your own opinion.

Yep, it's different.

Use very warm, not hot, water to case. It does seem to dry much faster, but you should be able to work it cased.

It's been more than 10 yrs. since I was working at a large holster making operation where we used large buckets of heated water.

I've been using a casing solution with water, Lexol, baby shampoo and Listerene, for the last several years. If it was me, I'd use that.

Do tests for yourself, and form your own opinion.

Got a formula for your casing solution? Ratios etc?

God Bless, Ray

Ray,

A lot of us use a formula attributed to Ben Cox.

I use an approximate mix of:

1 cup bottled water

1/2 cup Lexol

1 tbs. baby shampoo

1 tbs. Listerene.

I once kept a pair of boots, that were made with lots of veg tan leather trim pieces, cased and on the bench for about a week and a half, in a large zip lock bag, while I worked them over.

I have not used it on horsehide. I'd strongly reccomend a test first to see what it might do to the nap.

I presume you're doing the horsehide holsters rough out? most of them are.

This casing solution mix works so well, I don't know if warm is as necessary as it would be with just water.

The baby shampoo works to breakdown the water molecules for penetration, just as the warm water open the fibers of the leather for penetration. See what I mean?

Do some tests and get comfortable with it.

Good luck,