Sign in to follow this  
gfiles77

Swivel Knife Question

when finished with cutting your pattern should the cut look like a line sliced thru the leather or more like a V cut in the leather. Im wondering if im cutting deep enough,

I find i have trouble keeping my beveling tool on the cut it keeps wanting to walk over the cut to the other side.

when finished with cutting your pattern should the cut look like a line sliced thru the leather or more like a V cut in the leather. Im wondering if im cutting deep enough,

I find i have trouble keeping my beveling tool on the cut it keeps wanting to walk over the cut to the other side.

you definitly do want to cut deep enough to make your beveling popp out, means it needs to have a fairly deep cut to receive the tool and be able to walk it......on thin leather I cut evey bit of half the material, accordingly on thicker....8-13 oz....I still make a deep cut to burry about 1.5 Milimeter or so....sharp, and I mean extra sharp knife needed here!!!!!!

Keep your knife straight and you will receive a clean cut that will guide your beveler and allow you to walk and burry the edge so you get this 3-dimensional look!! (spelling &^%$%^&&^&**))

OK, now be aware....me rookie too, hope that helps a bit......hopefully the 220V carving pros will join in here soon to give you more hints....

:banana: Aloha

James

Hello there. There is a couple of differernt things to look at when swival knife cutting. Is your leather cased right. If your leather is to wet when cutting, then the knife cutts will close back together, and you could cut to deep in to the hide. If your leather is to dry, you will have a hard time getting a good clean cut in the leather. I do agree with James on the swival knife being sharp. Your knife should glide smoth when you are cutting. If you are having to grip your knife hard, and you are having to really push down on your knife to get a good cut then you might want to sharpen your knife. As far as beveling. I do a lot of small floral carving, in a lot of your cutting you are tappering your cutts. So not to say anything bad about tandys bevelars, but you can get a bevelar to bevel small cutts. I swithched all my bevelars out to Barry kings. I like how smooth you can flow down a line with them, and I can really do a lot more of the finer work. But this is a prferance on the tool. What works for me might not work for you. Well I think I have said enough.

Thanks

Lonnie

Thanks for the responses!!!!!!