Sign in to follow this  
ChuckBurrows

Late 1700’S – Early 1800’S Shot Pouch With Horn & Accoutrements

A more rustic style of shot pouch made of alum tawed sheepskin and lined with linen. The flap of the pouch is made from the leg section and the edge was left as skinned. The linen lining adds a bit of fringe to the outer edge while a single row of white and blue beads decorates the edge seam. In the center is an embroidered hunter’s star aka compass rose. At the top edge of the flap a bit of deer hair trim adds a bit of color.

The 8” x 8” pouch body is double welted and that has been fringed. There are two real repairs on the body – one slip of the knife has been sewn together on the front and a braintan buckskin patch covers a small weak spot on the back. There's a leather divider inside making this essentially a two section pouch.

The pouch strap is made of bark tan calf skin and includes a 1” antique roller buckle for making adjustments. Attached to the front of the strap is an 80 grn powder measure made from a deer leg bone section and partially covered with deer rawhide and linen thread wraps.

On the back of the pouch is a strap with a bone toggle button that can be tucked under the waist belt or sash to keep the bag from swinging away from one’s body. The front flap is closed with a hand made antler slab button.

The horn is an original SW Virginia horn (circa 1850’s?). I repaired the small cracks along the butt with a bit of pitch and then covered it over with deer rawhide. I then added an iron ring for the bark tan cowhide harness strap at both ends and can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The horn can be used alone or attached to the patch strap via a couple of small braintan thongs. The horn strap is adjustable via the two braintan buckskin thongs on each end. The whole set was given a patina of age – used but not abused………….

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-1.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-2.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-3.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-4.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-5.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-6.jpg

pouch-hunting-2011-spec2-7.jpg

All comments are welcome…..

Amazing attention to the tiniest details.

ken

These are the kind of items I enjoy looking at.. I've made a half dozen or so pouches, horns, powder measures, etc... over the years and this one looks great.

I use the stuff I make because of being a living historian circa 1750-1814.

Great stuff.

It's awesome that you posted this! One of my upcoming projects is a Scottish powderhorn. Thanks for the detailed shot!

Chuck

I have been an admirer of your work for several years, since i ran across the Wild Rose site. Jealous...envious...proud to be a member of the same forum as you...these are words that describe me concerning your work...OUTSTANDING.

i do have a question...wouldn't those chains rattle a might when hunting or for that matter re-enacting?

Thanks for your time...:You_Rock_Emoticon:

God Bless

Lee