seveneves

Rawhide Cantle Binding...to Do Or Not To Do

I've now built a couple saddles and the one I'm currently working on has a high 5 in cantle. I have seen some bindings that look pretty sharp with rawhide and some that warp and don't turn out too well. I know rawhide can be pretty hard to work with. I'm just doing a regular straight binding not Cheyenne roll. How wet should it be, what thread should I use? Do I compensate for shrinkage? (haha...shrinkage). I was going to order some handstitching thread from Weaver Item# 50-1554 page 256. Is that a good thread overall? Thanks.

I've now built a couple saddles and the one I'm currently working on has a high 5 in cantle. I have seen some bindings that look pretty sharp with rawhide and some that warp and don't turn out too well. I know rawhide can be pretty hard to work with. I'm just doing a regular straight binding not Cheyenne roll. How wet should it be, what thread should I use? Do I compensate for shrinkage? (haha...shrinkage). I was going to order some handstitching thread from Weaver Item# 50-1554 page 256. Is that a good thread overall? Thanks.

I still put a few rawhide binders on,You will need to wet it overnight and then let it temper back.When its getting a little body to it stretch it on .I take mine on the stitch line about 4' apart and sew with what ever thread you would use on a leather binding.I like 7 cord linen,but thats just me.

Steve

I still put a few rawhide binders on,You will need to wet it overnight and then let it temper back.When its getting a little body to it stretch it on .I take mine on the stitch line about 4' apart and sew with what ever thread you would use on a leather binding.I like 7 cord linen,but thats just me.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks. I was just searching around the internet and saw this tutorial on flickr. This guy just had a big rough cut piece that he sewed then cut later just under the stitch line. Where do you get your linen? Thanks.

I have been getting my linen from Oregon Leather Co.Like the what you were saying I sew a bigger piece on and trim it later with a No.3 forked edger.I do the same with a leather binder.

Steve

I have been getting my linen from Oregon Leather Co.Like the what you were saying I sew a bigger piece on and trim it later with a No.3 forked edger.I do the same with a leather binder.

Steve

Ok maybe i'll try that. I think i'll have to split the rawhide cause it's pretty this now. Thanks Steve.

post-13207-049198500 1302018423_thumb.jp post-13207-099876100 1302018266_thumb.jppost-13207-057461300 1302018246_thumb.jp Thanks Steve for your help. Here's how it turned out. Edited by seveneves

Very nice work. Very nice...

Very nice work. Very nice...

Thanks Denise

Hey, I jus did a rawhide binding on my first saddle. Just wondering how you get the thread to stay down and tight after all of it dries?