Sign in to follow this  
brettra

Belt Conchos

All,

I am looking to make a belt similar to this one: Tandy Site Belt Example

Simply, should I look at using any adhesive to keep the conchos from spinning? I'm thinking that a well sized hole will prevent the conchos from moving initially but after wear, they will compress the leather enough to start spinning around.

Any thoughts or comments on what would best keep them in position?

Thanks,

All,

I am looking to make a belt similar to this one: Tandy Site Belt Example

Simply, should I look at using any adhesive to keep the conchos from spinning? I'm thinking that a well sized hole will prevent the conchos from moving initially but after wear, they will compress the leather enough to start spinning around.

Any thoughts or comments on what would best keep them in position?

Thanks,

Check the conchos you are going to use, usually the ones that are not round or are supposed to have a "top" side will have little points on the back that stop them from spinning.

Check the conchos you are going to use, usually the ones that are not round or are supposed to have a "top" side will have little points on the back that stop them from spinning.

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think this wasn't considered a serious question. :bawling:

The conchos are horseshoes and only have a center screw to mount. This almost seems to be a design flaw because as you state, it seems that a physical stop tab should be part of the hardware.

Again, any ideas on a solid securing method is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think this wasn't considered a serious question. :bawling:

The conchos are horseshoes and only have a center screw to mount. This almost seems to be a design flaw because as you state, it seems that a physical stop tab should be part of the hardware.

Again, any ideas on a solid securing method is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

You could buy shorter screws for the concho and screw it in really tight or try some JB weld and make points on the back

Edited by mcn

You could buy shorter screws for the concho and screw it in really tight or try some JB weld and make points on the back

Tightening down REALLY tight does help, as does making an undersized hole and stretching it just before installation. Good idea on the JB weld. I was thinking something like a little solder would work too.

You might also try finding some thin rubber washers to go between the concho and the belt.

The soldering idea made me think of something that might work. You could get a thin toothed lock washer like these (http://www.wclco.com/Lock_Washers/Toothed_Lock_Washers/Toothed_Lock_Washers.php) from the hardware store and solder it to the base of the concho where the screw attaches. Then the concho would dig into the leather and wouldn't turn. If you can't solder to the concho you would probably use JB weld and glue it in place.

Just a thought,

Bob

The soldering idea made me think of something that might work. You could get a thin toothed lock washer like these (http://www.wclco.com...ock_Washers.php) from the hardware store and solder it to the base of the concho where the screw attaches. Then the concho would dig into the leather and wouldn't turn. If you can't solder to the concho you would probably use JB weld and glue it in place.

Just a thought,

Bob

Thank you everyone. Some great ideas for me to try out. I appreciate the time taken to assist. :grouphug5vj5:

Scott