Fredo

Kooky Question On Leather Pistol Grips

Hi Folks, well I went to the gun store to buy a few small items. While there I lost control of my will and bought a new 1911 by Rock Island officers .45 ACP

Here's the question, has anyone tried making a set of grips from leather? I imagine that it would be nice to tool and set of grips to match a holster. When I force dry my holsters they end up fairly stiff. So I'm thinking why not grips? I Think natural oils form my hands will be ok, the weathered look of sun tanned leather is ok......

Anyone done this, any pics or posts to see/read?

Thanks in advance.

Fredo

I have never seen leather grips before, but the idea sounds kind of cool.

I found this photo on a forum. i don't see there would be any problem doing the same thing with leather. I would seal ti real well to help with oils from your hand.

post-6341-029951300 1301599526_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks, well I went to the gun store to buy a few small items. While there I lost control of my will and bought a new 1911 by Rock Island officers .45 ACP

Here's the question, has anyone tried making a set of grips from leather? I imagine that it would be nice to tool and set of grips to match a holster. When I force dry my holsters they end up fairly stiff. So I'm thinking why not grips? I Think natural oils form my hands will be ok, the weathered look of sun tanned leather is ok......

Thanks in advance.

Fredo

congrats on the 1911/ my favotite i have been thinking about the same thing.. you could glue and sew 2 layers like a belt with a filler in between to round out the outside. 1911 grips are rounded not flat. inside filler would reinforce the mounting screws. filler could be kydex . by the way springfield leather will give you a piece of kydex to play with

There are millions of knives with stacked laether handles that have seen years of hard use and abuse. I don't know why you couldn't make some 1911 grips with it. Please post photos if you do.

As soon as I get the 1911 I will try this and post pics for sure. If you all promise to give me real time and hard critique that is.

I've seen leather pens and other items made from leather that's been chopped (in a blender maybe) and mixed with epoxy. It can be shaped before it dries, then worked like wood when it is dry.

If you dunk leather in near boiling, or boiling, water, it shrinks quite a bit and gets as hard as a rock.

i have one of the Rock Island full size 1911's, with the smooth grips. These grips are a little smaller than standard, and if yours are the same, you might just cover them with leather. I think that is what has been done with the stingray grips I posted earlier. If you want to make them using all leather, you will need kydex, or metal, or some other material for a stiffener, as they are thin, and a long way between mounting holes. If you decide to try it, I'd like to see how they come out.yes.gif

If you dunk leather in near boiling, or boiling, water, it shrinks quite a bit and gets as hard as a rock.

I recently read an article about making armor using this method but can't find the link. He suggest 180*F for 30-60 seconds. It changes colors and after it drys it is very strong/brittle.

My situation is a bit different than what you want, . . . but just to let you know it can be done:

My little Bersa Thunder has plastic grips, . . . and I was forever losing MY grip on the thing, . . . and afraid I might just drop it some day at the really wrong time.

Kept looking for something other than rubber or skate tape, . . . hit on the idea of suede, . . .

Front is laced with synthetic, . . . back is regular lacing, . . . whole thing was contact cemented in place first.

It is not everyone's cup of tea, . . . but then it is my firearm, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-089842200 1301713733_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Fredo

Fredo; from the grumpy old man. I think it can be done. Just a thought, but if you cut a steel back plate to fit the pistol, then stack leather on it, bonded down with a good clear epoxy, you can sand and shape the pieces as you wish with a belt or drum sander. I did some playing with a prototype speed holster for a 1911 that utilized a stacked leather 'stand-off' (to take the holster out away from the body over an inch) that was done that way. You can sand, shape and burnish the leather edges to a pretty decent finish. You can stack a lot of leather that way and have a very rigid outcome, even without a steel back. It's worth playing with I think. Here is a pic of the stack I did before final sanding and burnishing. That's 10 oz veg tanned scrap. Mike

P. S. Clamp the leather up tight between a couple of pieces of wood while the epoxy sets.

007-1.jpg

Edited by katsass

Not to be a smart ass...

It wouldn't end up smelling like a foot? I mean it as a serious question. I like the idea without a doubt. I think that if you could tool and then harden a set of grips there would be a market for them.

I have an old Merwin Hulbert .38 that had grips made from leather on them. They stacked 2 pieces, and shaped them for each side. They did NOT look very good, but I dont know how long they have been on there. Its a 100+ year old gun.

I have replaced them on the gun, but will see if I can find the leather ones for some pics.

DM

Update on my attempt at making leather grips for my 1911.

I tried a cpl of sets by laminating leather and did not like the look of stacks at all. Then I tried a set with a very think armor leather and did not like the look of the edge.

So I decided to combine armor leather and stingray (thank you OKIE). Now this i am happy with. Feels good, holds nice under fire.

I did not use a stiffiner under the grips however I did heat treat for hardness and after 200 rounds at the range tonight they have not budged, moved or warpped.

I do need to work on my mag release cut out but I'll get that nailed in on the next set.

Your thoughts and critiques are appreciated.

Fredo

grips1.jpg

grips2.jpg

grips3.jpg

Edited by Fredo

Very sweet!

I really like those and I am betting there are many people who would love a set..

Looks great!

Thanks in advance.

Fredo

I have. It was actually my first project. They came out like crap. First project with leather, ever. Of course they came out like crap. It can probably be done, just make your considerations.

- probably want a thin, hard backing of some time. Keeps the leather off the frame and from collecting moisture and particles. Of course, any gun should have grips removed so you can clean under there regularly.

- probably should stiffen up grip screw holes so yanking on the grip doesn't wallow out the leather. You'll need a firm ridge that the grip screw head can secure.

The way I'd make them now is use a thin piece over a thinned wood grip. Instead of what I tried then was a whole piece of 7/8oz as the grip panel.

Edit - I see you've already got them done. I've been meaning to do the same to match my wallet.

Edited by Shorts

Fredo, those grips look great, I did a paddle holster a few months ago for my Kimber 1911, but I was very concerned about abrasions from the sharp edges of the calcium beads of the stingray. It was even to the extent to where I ran a heavy silicone bead around the mouth of the holster to protect the weapon. I had thought about doing an overlay on some extra wood grips I have, but shyed away from it for fear of abrasions. How are you avoiding this on your grips or is this a non issue? My crude leather work is not for sale, but instead for my own personal use. Here is a photo.

stingray-45001.jpg

Edited by eyeman

Eyeman: I was able to protect the weapon by using the inlay bezel/window to keep the edges of the stingray at bay. As to the grips I am protecting myself with the use of a sweat guard. I appreciate the positive feel of the grips when drawing the weapon for fire. I have worn this around the house/garage since I made it, as well at the range. It is very comfortable and functional.

i really like the look of those grips. I may just try a set myself.

Those turned out awesome! I would love a set with the white diamond in the center of the grips! Those would look so sweet on my stainless Sig GSR 1911! Damn, now I have another project to work on.... :-)

-Tac

To bad I cant put them on my glock :( Those are sweet!