I'm new to leather working and holster making. This is my first try at making an IWB,

I've made 5 total, first two resembled holsters(they held the gun and functioned, but ugly).

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to improve.

Thanks.

post-19577-039411600 1302055245_thumb.jp

post-19577-041033800 1302055255_thumb.jp

post-19577-074365000 1302055267_thumb.jp

Edited by theSaint75

That's a really nice looking holster. Very nice boning! The IWB loops look nice. You've obviously done a 1911 holster before, because your stitch line around the trigger guard and dust cover is really nice and close. I like that. As far as improvements go, it looks like the stitching on the front wing comes in a little bit further from the edge than the stitching on the rear wing. That could be just an illusion though. You could maybe cover the trigger just a tiny bit more, especially if you ever put a shorter trigger in there. Doesn't need much more coverage though, just a smidge. Also the sweat shield doesn't quite cover the whole beavertail and hammer. This may be a personal preference though, and probably doesn't ad any discomfort. I really like the shape of that sweat shield by the way, and in fact the whole holster is nicely designed. It looks like you'll be able to get a nice full grip on the pistol while it's in there. Who's leather did you use? What weight? Also, what did you dye and finish it with? Keep up the good work!

Colt Hammerless

That's a really nice looking holster. Very nice boning! The IWB loops look nice. You've obviously done a 1911 holster before, because your stitch line around the trigger guard and dust cover is really nice and close. I like that. As far as improvements go, it looks like the stitching on the front wing comes in a little bit further from the edge than the stitching on the rear wing. That could be just an illusion though. You could maybe cover the trigger just a tiny bit more, especially if you ever put a shorter trigger in there. Doesn't need much more coverage though, just a smidge. Also the sweat shield doesn't quite cover the whole beavertail and hammer. This may be a personal preference though, and probably doesn't ad any discomfort. I really like the shape of that sweat shield by the way, and in fact the whole holster is nicely designed. It looks like you'll be able to get a nice full grip on the pistol while it's in there. Who's leather did you use? What weight? Also, what did you dye and finish it with? Keep up the good work!

Colt Hammerless

It's a tooling belly from tandy. i believe its 7 to 8oz eco-flow midnight black dye. I've been using a coat of super sheen, then once its dry I give it a good coat of gulf wax and rub it with a micro fiber cloth to get it to shine.

I think a quality leather would really help.

I have learned most everything from reading tips on here.

I appreciate the kind words and suggestions.

I think it looks great! I also like how tight your stitching is around the trigger, etc. I don't have any criticism on for you- It looks all good to me. What do you feel needs improvement on it, if anything?

Keep up the good work!

Nooj