Menolly

Is This Legal?

Hi all,

I have a specific piece of leatherwork I am working on and would like your input. I am a Star Trek fan and would like to sell this piece I am making but I don't want to do something wrong either. It is a picture of a hand with the phrase "Live long and prosper" Spock. I drew the hand myself but am just not sure about the infringement issues. Thanks for any light you can shine on the subject whatdoyouthink.gif

post-17944-049082400 1302222540_thumb.jp

post-17944-062448700 1302222569_thumb.jp

The current trademark for "Live Long and Prosper" is owned by CBS Studios, Inc., issued 8-19-2010. So, you would be in technical violation of the trademark if you make and sell the image.

*Note: I'm not a lawyer.* We had a long discussion about copyright infringement here on this forum, and IIRC, you can make and use anything for personal use, but can not sell those items without violating the copyright. I think the same would apply to a trademark, but if you need authoritative advice, ask a lawyer. You could also write to CBS Studios, Inc. and ask permission to use the logo (good luck with that).

The current trademark for "Live Long and Prosper" is owned by CBS Studios, Inc., issued 8-19-2010. So, you would be in technical violation of the trademark if you make and sell the image.

*Note: I'm not a lawyer.* We had a long discussion about copyright infringement here on this forum, and IIRC, you can make and use anything for personal use, but can not sell those items without violating the copyright. I think the same would apply to a trademark, but if you need authoritative advice, ask a lawyer. You could also write to CBS Studios, Inc. and ask permission to use the logo (good luck with that).

Thank you TwinOaks for finding that. I did try a google search google0dw.gif and didn't have any luck. Is there a website that is a good one for that sort of thing?

Ellen

Thank you TwinOaks for finding that. I did try a google search google0dw.gif and didn't have any luck. Is there a website that is a good one for that sort of thing?

Ellen

I used to do a lot of pen and inkwork. I belonged to a free site called WetCanvas. its one of the largest general art sites I have ever seen. there are forums, like here, but many of them. there is a specific forum with liars, I mean lawyers often answering. its free to sign up, no pop ups. You can go there. I have read quite a bit, I believe you will be disappointed. but here is the link http://www.wetcanvas.com/ you dont have to sign up to look around, but you do have to sign up to post, thats pretty normal to. Hope that helps.

Bob

As far as the hand goes, you're in the clear. Nimoy took the gesture from the priestly blessing in Orthodox Judaism. It's almost definitely not a trademark-able image.

Okay, thanks! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Ellen

I guess I should've given the link when I searched it: http://www.trademarkia.com/live-long-and-prosper-85111056.html

search terms " Live Long and Prosper Trademark" There's lots more articles than just that one, it just happens to be the one I picked.

I guess I should've given the link when I searched it: http://www.trademark...r-85111056.html

search terms " Live Long and Prosper Trademark" There's lots more articles than just that one, it just happens to be the one I picked.

Thank you twinOaks :D I will read up on it.

Ellen

I think you should consider treating it as two separate items: 1) the phrase "Live long and prosper" and; the hand sign used by the character Mr. Spock, which by the way was a Vulcan saying and used by other Vulcans beside Spock. In either case, if you sell it as a "Star Trek" item, then in my opinion and I am not a lawyer, you are inviting trouble.

BillB