particle

Springfield 3" 1911 Vs Colt Defender 3" 1911

I recently had a customer email asking if I could remake a holster for his Colt Defender 3" 1911. I made the holster around my 3" Springfield Armory Micro Compact 1911. Upon close examination of photos via Google searches, it seems the Colt Defender has a 3" bushing-less bull barrel, while the Springer has a 3" barrel WITH a bushing. The end of the slide seems to be flush with the end of the barrel on the Colt, while the bushing is exposed on the Springer indicating that the Springer has a slightly shorter slide. Can anyone confirm this? I curled the end of the holster inward at the muzzle, and it looks like the Colt isn't seating all the way leaving too much trigger exposed.

I would assume that the length of the Dust cover would make the difference. From the front of the Trigger Guard to the Face of the Dust Cover would be the issue after boning wouldn't it?

http://ezine.m1911.org/SAemp.htm

Edited by Reaper

Ive had a Rings Springer 3" for a while and i just picked up a Defender from a local gun show. When i got em home thats one of the first things i noticed was the diference of the slide length....both are considered "3 inch" guns, but the Springer is about a an 8th longer that the colt. I also curl the leather around the muzzle and ran into the same problem of the gun not seating all the way. I ended up haveing to make a new holster for it because of that....im not complaining...im just sayin....

colt1911 - are you saying that the Springer is 1/8" longer in the slide? Or the Colt is longer in the slide? If the Springer is longer, then it doesn't make sense that the Defender won't fit in the holster. Would you be willing to shoot and post some comparison photos with the guns side-by-side?

Here is a pair of photos I found yesterday that made me question the difference in slide length. It's pretty obvious there is a difference in exposed area the slide after the end of the dust cover. So, either the Colt has a shorter dustcover, or it has a longer slide.

post-6400-079951700 1303220456_thumb.jpg

post-6400-068031200 1303220466_thumb.jpg

Just using the photos you posted and measuring my computer screen, I get that the Colt is a little longer (I measure 1/8") in the distance from the front of the trigger guard to the end of the slide. I measure roughly 1-1/4" from the front of the trigger guard to the end of the slide on the Colt and 1-1/8" on the Springfield, and I measure basically 3-1/2" overall length, so those photos on my screen must be pretty close to actual size. I don't know if that helps any or not, but there you have it.

The EMP line is bushingless and uses a bull barrel to lock up. You could be seeing the bbl protrude slightly more proud of the end of the slide on the Springer, but it's definitely not a bushing.

You're right - the Micro Compact .45 has no barrel bushing and I'm in fact seeing the tip of the barrel protruding more on the Springfield than on the Colt with it's flush barrel. It's amazing how difficult it is to find photos of the muzzle of a Springer Micro Compact 3" .45 1911.

The EMP size is a little different when compared to a standard 3" .45 1911. I've posted a size comparison overlay I found somewhere, but can't find it right now to repost. I did find a muzzle shot of a railed version of the Springer 3" .45, but was trying to find an exact comparison (non-railed Springer vs. non-railed Colt - both .45's, both 3") to get a better idea of why the Colt Defender isn't fitting in my Springfield Loaded 3" Micro Compact .45 holster.

Ahh, found it -attached.

post-6400-035871900 1303240582_thumb.jpg

post-6400-019618300 1303240699_thumb.jpg

Edited by particle

Im sorry Particle, it was late last night when i wrote the post....the Defender is the longer of the two...i was just looking at the two side by side a few minutes ago and i THINK the dust covers are the same, its just the barrel on the Defender is a little longer. Im not home right now, im on here through my phone, but Ill try and post a few pics tonight or tomorow of the two side by side for ya. On another note if anybody is wondering, the Para Ordnance line of 3" bushingless barreled 1911's are the same size and the Springers as far as the barrel length goes....ask me how i know...lol. I traded the Para off for the defender and now i have a drawer full of unusable holsters thumbsdown.gif