txgreenhorn

Juki 563, Juki 1541, Cobra 18 Or Sailrite 111

Looking to buy a leather sewing machine, need helprolleyes2.gif. I been looking at juki 1541, cobra 18 ,sailrite 111 and used juki 563. i would like to be able to do leather from 3oz. to 13oz. harness leather with 207 or 277 thread. It would be anything from bags, upholstrey to some tack (breast plates and head stalls). Any idea what machine would be the better option? maybe not even one of the ones I been looking at???I like to have reverse and a flat bed. Hopefully somebody can clear my head a littlewave.gif.

You will be happy with the Cobra 18, up to 207 thread, I've sewn 18oz (2x9oz) with 207 on one no problem, I might have used 138 in the bobbin. With machines of that class, they will either do 207 or they won't, you can try 277 top, but run 92 or 138 in the bobbin, it might work. Another machine you might look for is a Pfaff 145 or 545 (or 1245), they are very good medium weight machines. Figure about 3/8" max on these machines, the Pfaff will almost do 1/2".

The Cobra 18 will probably be the best of that bunch as it will come setup for leather, and has excellent customer service. I've had one for more than 2 years and it works flawlessly. The wife uses it too, especially for quilting, there are feet for it to do anything you want and they are not expensive.

Art

Looking to buy a leather sewing machine, need helprolleyes2.gif. I been looking at juki 1541, cobra 18 ,sailrite 111 and used juki 563. i would like to be able to do leather from 3oz. to 13oz. harness leather with 207 or 277 thread. It would be anything from bags, upholstrey to some tack (breast plates and head stalls). Any idea what machine would be the better option? maybe not even one of the ones I been looking at???I like to have reverse and a flat bed. Hopefully somebody can clear my head a littlewave.gif.

Thanks Art, I been talking to Cobra Steve and he suggested maybe to go with a use cylinder arm (typ class4) as i might try to ask to much of the machine. Im still going back and forward new or used......

You will be happy with the Cobra 18, up to 207 thread, I've sewn 18oz (2x9oz) with 207 on one no problem, I might have used 138 in the bobbin. With machines of that class, they will either do 207 or they won't, you can try 277 top, but run 92 or 138 in the bobbin, it might work. Another machine you might look for is a Pfaff 145 or 545 (or 1245), they are very good medium weight machines. Figure about 3/8" max on these machines, the Pfaff will almost do 1/2".

The Cobra 18 will probably be the best of that bunch as it will come setup for leather, and has excellent customer service. I've had one for more than 2 years and it works flawlessly. The wife uses it too, especially for quilting, there are feet for it to do anything you want and they are not expensive.

Art

You can't loose with Cobra Steve