Sign in to follow this  
Melanie Wilfong

How Many Strands Should I Use For Nose Button/cowboy Knot?

How many 3/32" strands should I use for a 2" circumference when tying a nose button/cowboy knot? Thanks

I went with 6. We'll see how it turns out. The last one I made aligned correctly, but it spiraled???

check out one of alan bells tutorials, i think the bosal tutorial, he has good info on keeping those nose button type knots from coming out twisted. it is a problem that most braiders fight with.

using bruce grants formula 6 3/32 strings should cover 2 1/4" around, and since we know that u need a bit more than his formula to actually cover you should be good.

Thank you Tracy. I have had a problem w/twisting. I read the tutorial several times and I am confused on a point Alan makes about going back up on the braid.

With 2/3 of the length of my strings to my left I start the braid by going under one over one. post-1670-1216760838_thumb.jpg and I continue with each string in succession moving from top to bottom post-1670-1216760863_thumb.jpg Once I have all of my strings done i set it into my vice post-1670-1216760889_thumb.jpg to hold it while I braid post-1670-1216760937_thumb.jpg post-1670-1216760979_thumb.jpg Once I reach my goal I start the turn back. I finish my braid with an over so I can start my braid with an under. This is with the strings that are still going the left. I'll come to a place where the strand will need to work itself back into what has already been braided. Then I go parallel to the string on the left post-1670-1216761020_thumb.jpg I do this with each string in succession first working 4 of them to the left and then i go back and work them in succession to the right of where I started. This helps me from putting a twist into the finished noseband. Here I am half way back up creating pairs. post-1670-1216761048_thumb.jpg. At this point I started getting late so I wrapped the noseband in a moist cloth and let it set on my bench to preserve the moisture content. post-1670-1216761083_thumb.jpg To be continued...

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Bob Marley - Ride Natty, Ride

Can someone explain this? " I do this with each string in succession first working 4 of them to the left and then i go back and work them in succession to the right of where I started. This helps me from putting a twist into the finished noseband. Here I am half way back up creating pairs." The strings to the left split pairs. I an confused what he means by the 4 strings on the right, then work to the right. I've been working w/ the first string on the left, then continuing to the left until all are going up creating pairs. Thanks

if you look at the pictures that go with the text you will see that alan is doing that knot a bit different than the bruce grant method. he did not start by wrapping the strings around before starting his braid. if you are not wanting to try doing the knot the way alan is doing then just try adding the lines to your foundation like he did. putting lines on will help you keep your strings crossing each other at exactly the same points.

Maybe I'm missing something here(its happened before) but the video by Bryan Neubert, the first one, shows the easiest way to tie the multible string button. I was having a tough time starting and consistently turning back and this visual and explanation made it simple. And the easiest way to keep it straight from twisting is to draw a line down the top of where you are putting the button and keep your v's on that line. Brad

Don't know if I'm to late to be of any help but the twist actually happens as you start the turn back no matter the method, spiraling or braiding down. You have to be careful that as you pull each strand through making pairs ( in the braiding method) or making the first pass inthe spiral method, that you don't pull a twist into your foundation. And nondisrespectmtommy friend Bryan but the easiest way to braid a noseband is the way that works FOR YOU!'

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Thank you all, and especially Alan for the awesome tutorial and for the tip on making pairs. I braided it down as Alan showed.

post-19392-017097100 1304095058_thumb.jp

And the easiest way to keep it straight from twisting is to draw a line down the top of where you are putting the button and keep your v's on that line. Brad

I'll try this on the next one. Thanks