Sign in to follow this  
rodeomic

Stohlman Book

I keep seeing "The Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol. 3 by Al Stohlman" referred to. Is it just a bunch of pictures of his stuff, or, are there patterns available, and is the book really that helpful? I ask because I have purchased books by other "experts", which were basically a work of "look what I did".

Thanks!

Roger

The book does show you how it is done with measurements. There are no cut and paste patterns per se. I used this book twice to make two previous project and I used the measurements as a 'general' idea for the size I wanted. I use poster board to play with the size I am looking at. I would recommend a good investment in poster board or butcher paper to cut out the size and see what will work for you. On a side note, I haven't really found many books that have cut and paste pattern pieces unless you buy a 'pattern pack' item.

Good luck.

I keep seeing "The Art of Making Leather Cases, Vol. 3 by Al Stohlman" referred to. Is it just a bunch of pictures of his stuff, or, are there patterns available, and is the book really that helpful? I ask because I have purchased books by other "experts", which were basically a work of "look what I did".

Thanks!

Roger

All three volumes of "The Art of Making Leather Cases" should be in every leather crafters library. They do NOT show case Al Stohlman any more than his other books do. These books are not a step by step set of instructions on how to make any spacific item; but a learning tool as to how to do items that are not normally found in kit form. They teach "how to" on select topics, like the different handles found on brief cases and other projects of that sort. They show how to form fit cases for everything from knife sheaths to boxes and camera cases. Yes, there are pictures of various projects that Al did, but its not to brag about his work, but to show what any project would look like once completed. Remember this, the books are old and what is shown is usually outdated, but by using his instructions you can make things to fit what can be found in today's world. The instructions on how to make a case for a Walkie Talkie can be modified for use on how to make a case for a Kindle or any modern book reader.

I'm sure I left something out, but whenever I want to make something I've never done before, the first place I look in one of his case making books. I am always able to find an example of how to do something better, than I had originally planned on doing. If you aren't sure about any book of instructions, always check it out at the store (if possible) or ask a store manager about it. Hope this clears the air a little and is somewhat helpful.

Thanks for the response. Most of what I do is from pattern pak's, then add my own flavor! But, just from what you said, sounds like the Stohlman book could be a good investment.

Thanks again.

Happy Trails,

Roger

The book does show you how it is done with measurements. There are no cut and paste patterns per se. I used this book twice to make two previous project and I used the measurements as a 'general' idea for the size I wanted. I use poster board to play with the size I am looking at. I would recommend a good investment in poster board or butcher paper to cut out the size and see what will work for you. On a side note, I haven't really found many books that have cut and paste pattern pieces unless you buy a 'pattern pack' item.

Good luck.

I am just starting out in leather work, and made a pouch just using info I found here.

Then I brought all 3 of the making cases books, and found out how to 'not do' all the things I did wrong the first time!

You will need to get all 3, rather than just volume 3 as they do build on each other, and 3 refers back to the previous two volumes for more basic instructions (the projects get harder and more complex in each volume)

as someone said above, the info on handles, straps, fastenings and gussets etc is very good and can be applied to many idea's

well worth the money! especially if you don't like to just follow a standard pattern and like to 'alter' things

Natalie

There are two other books that I would add to the list if one can find them and afford them:

Leather Secrets by F.O. Baird - This is a How to book similar to Al Stohlman's books but it also includes patterns that can be traced and used as templates to cut the leather components. It also has tooling patterns that can be used as well.

Leather Art by F.O. Baird - This book teaches how to draw carving patterns in a Sheridan style.

Both books are out of print and predate Al Stohlman's books so some of the designs are out of date (purses and belts) while others are timeless (holsters, rifle scabbard). As with the Al Stohlman books, it is what they teach in design and construction problem solving that is the value. I did a quick search and found Leather Art on Amazon ranging from $19.95 to $29.95. Leather Secrets was on Ebay and was at $90 for a bid.

BillB

The books are a bit dated - "mobile phones" are the size of cement blocks! And you can't start with No. 3 because the later books refer back to No. 1. But they do give some pretty practical advice on making different types of cases.

I just finished my first read through of The Art of Making Leather Cases Vol. 1. I thought it was a great learning tool. It explains everything from pattern making, to forming, to strap design and attachment, all in the context of specific projects. I found the lack of an introduction a bit jarring. The book just jumps right into the first project, a basic pocket knife case, but once you get over that its a very useful book I think. As someone else on the forum said, no you will probably never make a CB case, but the techniques are invaluable. I already have my first project idea from the book. I'm going to borrow some techniques from the dice cup and thermos cover projects and make a water bottle holster I can use at conventions and trade shows.

Natalie,

Hello down-under. Did you see the movie "Bucket List"? One of my bucket list goals is to get back to Australia. I was in Sydney while in the service, and fell in love with the country. Maybe one day!

Anyway, thanks for the response. That made perfect sense. I did order volume 3, but sounds as if I should order the other two.

Thanks again.

Happy trails, and G'Day.

Roger

I am just starting out in leather work, and made a pouch just using info I found here.

Then I brought all 3 of the making cases books, and found out how to 'not do' all the things I did wrong the first time!

You will need to get all 3, rather than just volume 3 as they do build on each other, and 3 refers back to the previous two volumes for more basic instructions (the projects get harder and more complex in each volume)

as someone said above, the info on handles, straps, fastenings and gussets etc is very good and can be applied to many idea's

well worth the money! especially if you don't like to just follow a standard pattern and like to 'alter' things

Natalie