Sign in to follow this  
Fiddlegirl89

What Size Beveler?

I think it's called a beveler! I need the tool that rounds the edges of leather so that there isn't the sharp edge. My problem it, I have one that someone bought for me, but it isn't the right size...it doesn't take anything off. Or at least, not enough to be noticeable! I'll be using 6/7 ounce and 8/9 ounce latigo (making dog leashes.) Basically, I just want to take that corner off the leather. Especially on the handles of my leashes...it will make it feel much nicer if the edges are slightly rounded. I don't want to take a lot of leather off....just enough to be nice and rounded!

So, can anyone tell me what size I need? Also, is there a way for me to tell which size I already have? I don't think there are any markings on it.

Thanks!

I use a #2 and #3 for the leather thicknesses you listed. The tool should have a number on it somewhere. The older tools have the number closer to the working end and the newer tools, closer to the handle. The tool is an edge beveler.

Here are pictures of my two bevelers. The one with lighter handle is a #2 that I bought a long time ago from Tandy. The one with the darker handle (silver working end) is the one I'm having trouble with...it just won't take anything off. Do you think maybe it just needs to be sharpened? I still can't find any numberings or markings on it at all. I didn't buy this one...someone bought it for me. Looking at both ends side by side, it looks to me like the silver one is actually bigger, in which case it should do what I need it to do! So, what do you think?

DSCF2782.jpg

DSCF2789.jpg

DSCF2790.jpg

It looks like someone opened up the cutting groove on the larger one because one side appears wider than the other unless it's just the picture.

You might have a difficult time getting an edge back on it but I'm sure it can be done.

post-19342-087430700 1305211301_thumb.jp

Edited by Tree Reaper

It's not just the picture...I noticed that as well!

It may be dull or you might be holding it at the wrong angle. Sometimes those western edgers work better when you pull them toward you rather than push them.

Good luck,

Kevin