Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Another Elephant Holster

This was my first one:

th_IMG_2323Medium.jpg th_IMG_2327Medium.jpg

2nd one from today:

th_IMG_2557Medium.jpg th_IMG_2556Medium.jpg th_IMG_2554Medium.jpg th_IMG_2551Medium.jpg th_IMG_2548Medium.jpg th_IMG_2547Medium.jpg

I do like the texture of the elephant on the first holster better. It came with the bag o scraps from Springfield. The elephant on the all black holster is also from Springfield by the square foot. Anyone know what pieces these actually are so I can have some sort of clue what to order next time?

Also feel free to comment or critique my work.

Thanks

those are very nice shooter . Is there a back strap on the mag and flashlight holder holding in the flashlight on the back side ?

As far as the elephant I cant help you there but I would also like to know what part of the elephant it comes from.

Shooter, are you attaching the elephant to a thin backer piece of veg-tan before putting it on the main holster body? I know one would have to do that if it was a re-inforcement piece for the mouth of the holster, but it looks like you're doing this for decoration only. I also bought a couple of the elephant scrap bags from Springfield and am wanting to do one as a decoration piece on a holster that does not have a mouth reinforcement.

As far as which parts of the elephant these are from, I'm not 100% sure. I went to Roje Leather's website and they have some videos about elephant hides. It seems like the smooth pieces (like in your second holster) are from the ear, where as the more pronounced and deeper grain (as in your first holster) are from the main body and the trunk. You might want to go look at those videos. Another thing you could do would be to ask Kevin at Springfield or one of the other suppliers of elephant like Roje or Ostrich Market. I know Kevin is a member here. Maybe he'd like to put some pics in the exotics section of this site of different parts of the hide.

Oh, almost forgot, very nice holsters! Not much to critique!

Colt Hammerless

Looks Great, i do like the pattern on the first holster better. But the other looks great still.

Colt Hammerless - The Elephant holster i made is similar to Shooters, and even thought the elephant is rather thin, its still a pretty tought peice of hide and actually adds a good amount of reinforment to the mouth of the holster.

Not sure if i have ever posted mine elephant holster on here so ill post it in this thread. (Shooter if you want me to take it down i will)

IMG_20110501_233619.jpg

Ya the elephant is a monster when it comes to sanding the edges and whatnot. I think I could hit this stuff on the highway doing 85 and not damage it.