Sign in to follow this  
DJole

Python skin--what surface treatment?

I have nearly completed a book cover, made out of python skin backed with pigskin liner. 95% of the sewing is done, but now I have another problem.

The gentleman who requested the piece has another that a fellow made for him years ago, in the Phillippines. This original book cover seems to have some kind of smooth laquer finish over the snake skin, but I am not certain.

So, for you snake-skin experts out there, what kind of finish will lock down the scales, but still be somewhat flexible and not change the color too much?

I have nearly completed a book cover, made out of python skin backed with pigskin liner. 95% of the sewing is done, but now I have another problem.

The gentleman who requested the piece has another that a fellow made for him years ago, in the Phillippines. This original book cover seems to have some kind of smooth laquer finish over the snake skin, but I am not certain.

So, for you snake-skin experts out there, what kind of finish will lock down the scales, but still be somewhat flexible and not change the color too much?

if the scales are *not* popping up, I just use a light wax based finish like an atom wax. If the skin came from a larger, older snake, you may need to condition it with something like Lexol *first*. Always buff in the direction of the scale.

I just got a red python hide and want to make sure I am using the correct product on it. I have some pecards, will that work the same as the atom wax?

Jon

DJole;

Dave Cole from DCKnives works almost exclusively in exotic hides (Alligator, Stingray, Crockodile and Snake). He has responded to this same question on other occasions and says that he uses about four coats of Feibing's Leather Sheen on the scales of snake skins to prevent the scales from lifting. If he uses it...I'd do it too. He really knows what he's doing. Mike

Edited by katsass