Vianeth

Red Dye And Black Finish

I've been trying to replicate some leather armor I have that was not made by me. It is red (looks tomato or brick red) with black antique finish but I'm assuming more products were used to achieve the look. The only dye that comes close to looking like the red is Eco Flo Cranberry red. The Fiebings red has too much pink. Same with the Oxblood.

Also I can't get the antique finish to stay in the tooling. When I wipe the finish off with a cloth everything wipes off and doesn't accumulate in the tooling. My attempts are on the scrap leather, using EcoFlo cranberry red and Fiebings red dye, with both acrylic black leather stain and fiebings antique black finish. I have some red Pro Oil dye arriving in the mail soon which I'm going to try. It doesn't seem like the dye + finish was all that was used to create this look.

I'm fairly new to leatherworking and don't have all the dyes and finishes I'd like because I'm not sure what to buy. If anyone could suggest any products or maybe even any suggestions on what to try/experiment to get this finish looking like the pictures that's be great! Thanks in advance.

post-21399-086944900 1306607712_thumb.jp

post-21399-094567700 1306607832_thumb.jp

post-21399-031483700 1306607919_thumb.jp

I'm just a noobie and I'm not sure about your colors. But once you get that right,

how are you removing the antique paste?

On some of the things I do, it is a mix of dye and antique paste to get a color I like, and then for the

antique look, with the tooling being darker - I have taken the advice I read about here and slather

the antique paste on to get it into all the nooks and crannies and let it sit for a minute or so, and then

wipe it off with a damp piece of folded paper towel - something flat that won't drag the paste out of the tooling...

If the Antique still comes off in places I want it, I do it again till I get it right. Depending on your pattern,

try going up and down, side to side, or around and around.... to remove the paste from the top of your design.

Sometimes one way will work better than another - depending on the design. You might want to try this on

a sample piece till you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps

Edited by LNLeather