Not sure if any of you are thinking about buying a Boss, but I just noticed they are on sale for $1195 from Tippmann. I have been on the fence about buying one, and that pushed me over the edge. I'm sure I will need some advice and help getting it set up and running.

Not sure if any of you are thinking about buying a Boss, but I just noticed they are on sale for $1195 from Tippmann. I have been on the fence about buying one, and that pushed me over the edge. I'm sure I will need some advice and help getting it set up and running.

Good Choice, Great macine you will grow to love it.

Happy stiching

:yes:

Good Choice, Great macine you will grow to love it.

Happy stiching

:yes:

I actually sent the Boss back. I found that the limited throat clearance was too much of a hassle with some of my holsters. Trying to guide the piece, bend the leather so it would fit through the throat, and pull the lever was a little too much. The stitch quality was great, and if some of my pieces weren't so long, I would still have it.

The plan was to upgrade to a Cobra 4, but Steve didn't have them in stock at the time. Then, my AC bit the dust. In Phoenix, that's something you NEED, so I had to spend my machine money getting that repaired. About a week later, I got several large holster orders that I just was not going to hand stitch. So I called Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines and ordered a Cowboy 4500, which he had in stock. Had it in about a week and have been a happy stitcher ever since.

I actually sent the Boss back. I found that the limited throat clearance was too much of a hassle with some of my holsters. Trying to guide the piece, bend the leather so it would fit through the throat, and pull the lever was a little too much. The stitch quality was great, and if some of my pieces weren't so long, I would still have it.

The plan was to upgrade to a Cobra 4, but Steve didn't have them in stock at the time. Then, my AC bit the dust. In Phoenix, that's something you NEED, so I had to spend my machine money getting that repaired. About a week later, I got several large holster orders that I just was not going to hand stitch. So I called Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines and ordered a Cowboy 4500, which he had in stock. Had it in about a week and have been a happy stitcher ever since.

Glad to hear your AC is back on line. I visited the White stallion dude ranch near Tucson and understand why you need an AC Unit. Glad you have a macine that will do the job for you. Sounds like you are very happy with it.

Enjoy

Kieran

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here for a while and up to this point I have found all of the answers to my questions by using the search function, but now I have to ask... why wouldn't you get something like a Techsew GA5-1R, rather than a Tippmann? The Techsew is only $150 more than the sale price of the Tippmann, and seems to be so much more machine.

I know some people like to avoid machines and do everything as close to "handmade" as they possibly can. Is that it, or is there some other reason? I know that I would want an electric machine if I had "several large holster orders" on my desk. If I ever get to the point of getting paid for my leather work, I would be jumping on a GA5-1R a.s.a.p. It was on sale a week or so ago for $1250 but I simply cannot justify the purchase for myself at this time.

Nick

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here for a while and up to this point I have found all of the answers to my questions by using the search function, but now I have to ask... why wouldn't you get something like a Techsew GA5-1R, rather than a Tippmann? The Techsew is only $150 more than the sale price of the Tippmann, and seems to be so much more machine.

I know some people like to avoid machines and do everything as close to "handmade" as they possibly can. Is that it, or is there some other reason? I know that I would want an electric machine if I had "several large holster orders" on my desk. If I ever get to the point of getting paid for my leather work, I would be jumping on a GA5-1R a.s.a.p. It was on sale a week or so ago for $1250 but I simply cannot justify the purchase for myself at this time.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum,

I use the Tipman when I am out at shows or on my stall in at a farmeres market. I am never garenteed to have power. The tipman is bassed on an old singer model and is a real help to me in the field. most places I go I cant use a generator so power is not an option. I have a good power macine in my workshop but sometimes the tippman is still the only way forward.

Kieran

Hi Kiernan,

Thanks for the enlightement! Also, I did not know that the Tippmann was based on an old Singer design... very interesting.

Nick

Hello Everyone,

Nick

Several other things to consider if you intend to make holsters. Sewing heavy leather is never a speed proposition no matter what machine you are using and you can sew as fast with a Boss as most folks run their powered machines. Also the GA5 has pretty aggressive feed dogs that will mark the bottom side of the work pretty distinctly. Then you need to add in the cost of the speed reducer and servo motor to the basic machine plus the cost of shipping. The Boss is simple enough that most anyone can work on it themselves and Tippmann has great customer service. The GA5 you will probably need serviced by a professional.

If you are set on a powered machine for your first one I think I would give the Cobra machines a serious look.

Denster,

Thanks for the info. I understand all of you good points. There are several reasons that I was considering the GA5. One, I have problems with repetitive motion stress and the manual action would only make that worse. And two, the Tippmann just sounds ridiculously overpriced. If the Tippmann were say, $500 - $600, it would make sense to me as a hobby machine. But if I had to do any large orders, I cannot see doing any volume, manually.

I believe the $1350 for the GA5 does include the speed reducer, servo motor and the adjustable height base. But, I do understand that functionally, the electric does not offer anything over the manual and in the end, the manual is easier for the user to repair. I guess when I get as much experience as you guys have, I will understand and appreciate the Tippmann for what it is. Right now, I am coming from a position of ignorance, so please forgive my non-sense.

Thanks for telling me about the feed dogs on the GA5 and pointing me in the right direction to the Cobra. However, with the much higher cost of the Cobra, it may be a very long time before I get one.

I was fortunate in that I got to pretty much skip hand stitching. I can/do on some projects but had access to a Boss from day one. From a beginners aspect the Boss is a saving grace to the hands but can be a finicky pain in the rear in no time flat if you aren't constantly tweaking and testing. I have no experience with any other machines but my relationship with the Boss is a love/hate one. I think it fills a very particular niche that most either under or over utilize as a tool.If I were to buy a machine it would be a Cobra Class 4.

Edited by Eaglestroker

Several other things to consider if you intend to make holsters. Sewing heavy leather is never a speed proposition no matter what machine you are using and you can sew as fast with a Boss as most folks run their powered machines. Also the GA5 has pretty aggressive feed dogs that will mark the bottom side of the work pretty distinctly. Then you need to add in the cost of the speed reducer and servo motor to the basic machine plus the cost of shipping. The Boss is simple enough that most anyone can work on it themselves and Tippmann has great customer service. The GA5 you will probably need serviced by a professional.

If you are set on a powered machine for your first one I think I would give the Cobra machines a serious look.

The Techsew GA5-1R feed dogs may leave minor foot marks on the bottom side of soft leather, not always an issue for our customers who sew holsters, tool belts and harnesses where the bottom side of the work isn't showing. We barely ever receive complains about it. Wizcrafts made a post not too long ago describing a simple process to remove the marks too if one were so inclined.

Many customers will go with the Techsew 5100 or Techsew 4100 instead, both of which have a 7/8" sewing capacity and a triple feed mechanism so not to leave any foot marks at all.

All of these machines come standard with speed reducer and Techsew SmartServo motor and extra large 12" flywheel (5100 and 4100), we do not charge extra costs or upgrade fees.

All machines are put through our 5 step inspection process and set up by a certified mechanic, ready to sew upon delivery. No need to service anything and we offer lifetime tech support too.

Cheers,

Ron

the tippmann boss is on sale again...

here>>> http://www.tippmanni...3f9376d05bf8227

:specool:

now i just need to figure out duty into canada... :rolleyes2:

Edited by almac