JasonGwiazda

Altering Shotgun Zips

Hi all,

My customer received his shotguns and really likes them, but we've come across a problem: I used the measurements he supplied me, but they fit a little too tight, by about an inch or so. I was thinking of taking off the zipper from the outside part of the leg and either lacing or stitching the zip onto a strip of leather about an inch or so wide and then replacing the old zipper with this strip. I guess like a lace in piece but stitching the whole lot on instead of lacing as he wanted the zips to be stitched in. Would this be a feasible alteration or would you suggest something different? Is there a way to make the zips adjustable? He also mentioned that the little pull on the zip broke off as he was doing them up, so I think I will need to replace all the zips with some heavier duty ones than just the Tandy zips, but that is all part of fun in the learning!

Thanks, Jason

Edited by JasonGwiazda

Jason,

First, I have been using the Tandy and Weaver heavy duty zips for years, and have not found any problem, my guess is that he tried too hard to sip them and they were just too tight. Second, a little tip, when I put zippers in chaps, I always make them right hand and left hand by undoing the bottom of one side and reversing the slide. That way when installed, if you put the slide side on the side of the chap leg that wraps around the leg and meets up with the outside sipper, it makes it easier for the owner to get them zipped.

Now as for how to add a little material to them. Sometimes I have had a set come back when someone has put on a little weight of just grown up some and need more room. I usually add a strip of the required width to the side that wraps around the leg and zips up under the fringe or flap, not the fringe side. Usually by the time they need redoing, the old zips need replacing any ways, so that's what I do. Hope that is clear enough? Added is a pic of a pair of exersize chaps ( similar to shotguns) that I did. Like I said all the work is done on the "inside flap"

Bob

post-8161-081428200 1307022267_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Bob, much appreciated and thanks for the tip. I might try another pair of Tandy zips and start over.

Those exercise chaps look pretty neat too!

Thanks,

Jason

First, I am not a chap maker.

That said there is a post somewhere, out there, (kinda like a song) about making adjustable chaps. That was one of your questions.

The builder used a removable strap to mount the zipper of the onside of the fringe side. This was attached by plating or weaving, or whatever knot people do (haha) a great looking seam on the outside just in front of the fringe.

That mounting strip could be as wide as you like and can be re-plated, with little work to any future size need ,including normal stretch.

Sorry I cannot point to the post of the real worker!

Hope you can get some ideas from my words.

Thanks Kayak, I reckon I've got it sorted now!