I wanting to make a real heavy duty leather belt! I'm thinkin of a 8 oz or a 10 oz! Wondering wat leather works best?

I'ld go with the 10 oz, or sew 2 7oz together.

A long time ago I wrote up a little belt tutorial. Some of it's good, other parts have changed, others may do it altogether different, but here it is.

`http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4416

ok thanks ya i been buyin a few belt blanks a tooling them buy they just dont hold up! i think a 10 oz. should hold up good!

ok thanks ya i been buyin a few belt blanks a tooling them buy they just dont hold up! i think a 10 oz. should hold up good!

What do you mean by hold up? Are they wearing out from use? Stretching when you tool them? Or are they getting damaged from stamping? If your issue is one of the last two problems, then a heaver leather may not be the right fix.

I wanting to make a real heavy duty leather belt! I'm thinkin of a 8 oz or a 10 oz! Wondering wat leather works best?

question: where are you buying your leather? I have been useing 8/9 or 9/10 oz double shoulders for years and no problems. just buy a top grade leather and not the cheapest.

What do you mean by hold up? Are they wearing out from use? Stretching when you tool them? Or are they getting damaged from stamping? If your issue is one of the last two problems, then a heaver leather may not be the right fix.

there not stretching and i not having any problems with stamping! but the belt blanks iv made just are to thin by the time a tool them out theres just not much left! i calf rope and do alot of ranch work so im kinda hard on belts! once i save up some money to get a sewing machine ill start sewing some together but a 8 or 10 oz. would prolly work good!

question: where are you buying your leather? I have been useing 8/9 or 9/10 oz double shoulders for years and no problems. just buy a top grade leather and not the cheapest.

well i was buying the premade belt from tandy but they just dont hold up after tooling them! i think a 8/9 oz or a 9/10 oz. would word good! what do u use for belts? do they last good?

well i was buying the premade belt from tandy but they just dont hold up after tooling them! i think a 8/9 oz or a 9/10 oz. would word good! what do u use for belts? do they last good?

I do not use Tandy leather. I was useing Siegel of Calif. until they just went out of business. Zack White leather co. has some good db shoulders, Wickett & Craig is some of the best . none of it is cheap.If you buy the double shoulders and strip your own is cheaper in the long run.

Also do you take the Leather Crafters & Saddle Journal,if not contact at :1-888-289-6409. they are a leather mag. that has some good info and list several dealers. Also try:www.leathercraftersjournal.com

I do not use Tandy leather. I was useing Siegel of Calif. until they just went out of business. Zack White leather co. has some good db shoulders, Wickett & Craig is some of the best . none of it is cheap.If you buy the double shoulders and strip your own is cheaper in the long run.

oh ok gotcha! ya im new to alot of this! just starting of really! im trying to find good quality leather! ill check of those sites about leather!

Also do you take the Leather Crafters & Saddle Journal,if not contact at :1-888-289-6409. they are a leather mag. that has some good info and list several dealers. Also try:www.leathercraftersjournal.com

ok kool! ill for sure have to check that out!

Here's what I would suggest....go with a thicker leather:

http://zackwhite.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17291&cat=653&page=1

I've been making lots of belts lately and for a really good heavy duty one, stitching two layers together that equal about 1/4" thickness is the way to go...that's easy for me to say since I have a machine....but these thick stirrup leathers are a very close second to what I'm talking about....

I've made several belts out of stirrup straps. Fantastic belts. If you can, ask the supplier to hand pick the straps with the best backs. Two of the ones I made had backs that were almost like suede...but very fine....velvety even. Others have been stringy, so YMMV. My daily belt is made from stirrup strap, vinegarooned, and just keeps getting better and better looking.

If you are wanting to make a serious belt, go with 10oz as stated but choose a shoulder or butt cutt , its stronger and will have min stretch over time. I made abelt from a side and it stretched some as some areas on the cow are less strong then other parts. Just grab the leather a pull a bit you'll see either a bit of stretch or none. Leathe always wears in but when come correctly the belts will never be returned. You can use a thinner leather and dbl up, just make sure you have a decent sewer and stich guide or you are wasting leather.