Sign in to follow this  
TexasLady

Making A Strop

6/14/11

I have some pieces of scrap leather that look like they will make lovely little strops. And I've got some Tandy white rouge, which (thanks to another Thread here) I've been able to soften with water, olive oil, and heat. When making a new strop (for sharpening knives), should we first oil the piece of leather that we are going to use? And, if so, would it be better to use olive oil or neet oil? Or some other kind of oil? - Texas Lady

Take a scrap piece of lumber, like a 1x4x12. Apply contact cement to the back of a piece of scrap leather that is larger than the lumber, and also apply the cement to one face of the lumber. Once the cement dries, stick the two together and trim the leather to the size of the lumber. Chamfer the edges of the leather with your edger. Using a non-softened, excessively hard chunk of white rouge...., briskly rub it across the surface of the leather. You'll begin to see the rouge transfer to the leather. You don't need much, as too much rubbing can create an uneven surface on your strop. Once this is done, you're good to go. Don't oil your leather - just apply the rouge.

6/15/11

Thank you for the instructions, particle. I've got some pieces of wood about that size out back of the house. Got the contact cement, too. Would you have any suggestions on what kind of edge beveler to use? - Texas Lady

The beveled edge isn't really a necessity - it just helps protect your knuckles when you're stropping your blade. If you don't have an edge beveler, just wet the edge with a sponge and rub the corner down with a bone folder, stick, whatever you have access to. :)

Just a note, I found that mine works better with the rough side facing out, takes rouge better and seems to put a polished edge on the tool faster than smooth side out.

How d oyou keep the leather up that way? Wouldn't it start to hair up real bad like a piece of carpet?

6/17/11

Okay, thanks particle.

Hi Jordan and Willbilly. Nice to see you here.

- Texas Lady