Blazin

Stitch Groover

Just got started in the hobby and I have a question. Purchased a stitch groover from the local Tandy shop. When I purchased it I noticed it had a small piece of leather stuck in the orifice.

My question is two fold. One does the hole that does the grooving run all the way through the metal end of the tool and second does this tool actually cut a small groove in the leather or does it merely depress a channel down into the leather? From my first use with the tool it did not cut a groove in the leather it just made a depression. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Try turning the L shaped piece over and groove with the pointed tip down. I had this same problem then turned it over and it worked ok. Not as well as the good groovers like a Versa Groover, but better than it did before.

Hope this helps

Just got started in the hobby and I have a question. Purchased a stitch groover from the local Tandy shop. When I purchased it I noticed it had a small piece of leather stuck in the orifice.

My question is two fold. One does the hole that does the grooving run all the way through the metal end of the tool and second does this tool actually cut a small groove in the leather or does it merely depress a channel down into the leather? From my first use with the tool it did not cut a groove in the leather it just made a depression. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Yes the hole runs through the tip, and yes it does actually cut a small groove where you run it along your line. The cutting will spiral up through the hole on the top as you pull it along. As far as it not cutting and making a groove you may need to do as Aggie says, also play with the angle you hold/use the groover and you should see a difference.

edit* My reply is based on this or one of the similar groovers - http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/search/searchresults/8074-00.aspx

Edited by Phatdaddy

Thanks for the help, I'll give this a try I figured the concave/rounded end would be the one to press into the leather to do the grooving but its only making a depression. Needless to say I'm disappointed in the $20 dollar tool!

Thanks for the help, I'll give this a try I figured the concave/rounded end would be the one to press into the leather to do the grooving but its only making a depression. Needless to say I'm disappointed in the $20 dollar tool!

The angle you hold the tool makes a big difference. there is a video online that might help.

The angle you hold the tool makes a big difference. there is a video online that might help.

I've tried it over a dozen time and the tool just doesn't cut. I noticed before I ever even tried to use the tool it had a small/tiny piece of leather stuck in the orifice of the tool itself like it had been used previously.

I honestly think by now I would have gotten it to cut a least one grove. I actually think the tool was used extensively and maybe needs sharpened or is defective. I plan on taking it back to the tandy store.

I've tried it over a dozen time and the tool just doesn't cut. I noticed before I ever even tried to use the tool it had a small/tiny piece of leather stuck in the orifice of the tool itself like it had been used previously.

I honestly think by now I would have gotten it to cut a least one grove. I actually think the tool was used extensively and maybe needs sharpened or is defective. I plan on taking it back to the tandy store.

Not sure whether I'm out of place or not, but make sure you removed the small piece of wood and all the sealing wax on the blade... I had the same problem the first time I used my edge beveler, but then I looked and realized they had sealed a small piece of wood with plastic/wax in order to make sure the blade was protected during travel... :)

Not sure whether I'm out of place or not, but make sure you removed the small piece of wood and all the sealing wax on the blade... I had the same problem the first time I used my edge beveler, but then I looked and realized they had sealed a small piece of wood with plastic/wax in order to make sure the blade was protected during travel... :)

Oh man I hope I thought it was just a small piece of leather stuck in it from like a test run at the factory. I'll see if I can remove that thing. Hey thanks for sharing this important tip! I'll let you know if it works.

Oh man I hope I thought it was just a small piece of leather stuck in it from like a test run at the factory. I'll see if I can remove that thing. Hey thanks for sharing this important tip! I'll let you know if it works.

Sure hope it does... :) I kinda had a "Duh" moment when I figured it out... :rolleyes2:

Sure hope it does... :) I kinda had a "Duh" moment when I figured it out... :rolleyes2:

It was actually exactly as you stated something stuck in the orifice of the groover. I had to work it out with a needle. Once I freed it the tool worked flawlessly.

Thank you so much for the little tip!