So I finally dyed my python bag ( which was brown ) black and it turned out nice. I used Fiebing's leather dye and used it as as per the instructions. Problem is, I don't know how long I have to continue buffing out the excess. I did do it for a few days but I still get these blackish hues on my fingers my when I use the bag! Is there anything I can do to remove it quickly and even completely? I've read that some people apply finishes to leather but of the ones I have read about it will give out a matte, satiny or high sheen result. Since I have been buffing my bag quite a bit, it has this really nice sheen which I don't really want to ruin and I don't want it to have more sheen than it already has.

Another question I have is, if I use some sort of finish on the python, would it take to being conditioned? I am only asking because in my head, the finish would kind of 'cover' the leather and then the conditioner wouldn't be abloe to penetrate through?

I hope you guys can help!

Athy

If you're still getting dye rubbing off, then you need to keep buffing. What's rubbing off is dye particles that didn't penetrate the hide. Applying a sealer or finish coat to it would 'glue' them down for a bit, but there will always be the risk of rub-off while the excess is present. When you are ready to top coat it, check out some of the wax finishes like Leather Balm, and Carnuba Cream, they both produce a mellow finish.

If you're still getting dye rubbing off, then you need to keep buffing. What's rubbing off is dye particles that didn't penetrate the hide. Applying a sealer or finish coat to it would 'glue' them down for a bit, but there will always be the risk of rub-off while the excess is present. When you are ready to top coat it, check out some of the wax finishes like Leather Balm, and Carnuba Cream, they both produce a mellow finish.

I guessed as much TwinOaks ..... well more elbow grease for me then. Will let you know how well it turns out. Looks like wearing white dresses is out while trying to carry that bag :)

Athy