post-22740-056373900 1309286579_thumb.jpOk... new here and please forgive if you've covered this with some other poor sap that I was not able to find in the archives. Below is a picture of the stitch provided to me by my 29K58.

-Threading is correct

-needle is new and properly installed,

-shuttle timing is right,

-check lever travels to top of stroke,

- top tension is as high as it'll go,

-shuttle tension is as loose as I can make it,

-thread is #69 on a 110/18 29x3 through three layers of urethane coated poly (but same results on 1 & 2),

-never misses a stitch,

-needle tension spring is absent

-can't identify any significant burs or grooves

-machine sews fine with same settings through about 16 layers of 1000D cordura

The top tension does seam to have an effect on the severity of the problem, but I don't understand why the needle seams to drag the thread with it on the up-stroke. My little Pfaff 230 from 1955 will sew this stuff with the same needle and thread sizes and not loop (poor thing struggles but she does it). Any ideas.

Edited by pinsandpitons

HI! You get the experts answer in a little while. I read a book about this, and I stayed at a holiday inn last nite.

Your thread tensions need to be "evened out". With the top thread totally tight and the lower loose the top will PULL the bottom to the surface. You want the knot in the middle of your work. So loosen the top and tighten the bottom until you get it.

I read that if you hand pull some thread the top should pull about the same as the bottom.

If you were to go too far at this, with a loose top and tight bottom you LOOP should end up under your material.

Thanks for the reply but the lock stitch is indeed in the material. That loop you see is the needle thread. I can pull the bobbin thread and get it (with some effort) to pull out of the stitch completely. Presto! No stitch! So the two cross each other very near the bottom. Very convenient when you're trying to set the tension right and you don't want to waste a lot of material.

You can try putting some baby powder on what your sewing and see if the helps. That stuff is pretty sticky. I put baby powder on patent leather when i sew it because it's pretty sticky. I put the powder in a sock and pat the leather before i sew. At least it's something that won't cost anything to try because you probely already have both.

Hi,

Try a size larger needle like a 20, and/or dump your thread spool into some Silicone Thread Lube and let it stay in there for 5 or 10 minutes, then pull it out and let it drip off. When it stops dripping a lot, load up a bobbin with it and use the spool for the top. You will have to adjust your tensions but things should be better.

Art

post-22740-056373900 1309286579_thumb.jpOk... new here and please forgive if you've covered this with some other poor sap that I was not able to find in the archives. Below is a picture of the stitch provided to me by my 29K58.

-Threading is correct

-thread is #69 on a 110/18 29x3 through three layers of urethane coated poly (but same results on 1 & 2),

-never misses a stitch,

The top tension does seam to have an effect on the severity of the problem, but I don't understand why the needle seams to drag the thread with it on the up-stroke. My little Pfaff 230 from 1955 will sew this stuff with the same needle and thread sizes and not loop (poor thing struggles but she does it). Any ideas.

Thanks guys. Some good ideas. I tried some oil on the thread with no luck and would like to stay away from lubes in general 'cause I use the machine for all kinds of materials and don't want to contaminate the works, but I'll try the larger needles and a little talc or some such might be the trick. Thanks again.

-T

If you don't want to lube the whole thread, put some neatsfoot oil in the wax pot on top of the machine and lash a thick chunk of felt on the front edge using the two holes provided to strip the excess oil off. The oil will just dissappear into the leather when you're done sewing and won't permanently gum up the works of the machine.

If you also use it for things that absolutely positively can't have oil anywhere near them, either get a second machine or wipe out the thread path with alcohol between jobs.

I have had this issue on some synthetics and have found that a different tip shape on the needle can help. Try the 29X4 leather point as it may help.

Should also add that the thread take up lever of the 29 is adjustable and a longer stroke may help.

-Threading is correct

-never misses a stitch,

Marvelous ideas all around... thanks to all who responded. I tried larger needles and smaller thread and that most certainly helped. I feel a little doofy for not thinking of that but I suppose i didn't think this stuff was as sticky as it really is. I've got to find me some 140/22's in the 29x4 series.

Again thanks all for the help.

-T

Hi T,

Check with Bob Kovar, he has needles that came out of Egypt with the Israelites.

Art

Marvelous ideas all around... thanks to all who responded. I tried larger needles and smaller thread and that most certainly helped. I feel a little doofy for not thinking of that but I suppose i didn't think this stuff was as sticky as it really is. I've got to find me some 140/22's in the 29x4 series.

Again thanks all for the help.

-T