craig h

Rotary Cutter ?

OK ...being a novice... is it worth spending the money to obtain a rotary cutter to add to my tools? I am thinking in the way of using it to cut thin lining type of leather....if yes ..does it make a difference what brand of cutter?

Thanks..

I tried one and didn't much like it. It was to hard for me to see where i was going. I went back to using a round knife. The one i had was a Fisker pretty sure i'm not spelling it right.

OK ...being a novice... is it worth spending the money to obtain a rotary cutter to add to my tools? I am thinking in the way of using it to cut thin lining type of leather....if yes ..does it make a difference what brand of cutter?

Thanks..

Craig....I think they are valuable tools. I don't know much about the different brands, however I use mine whenever I am using light lining leathers (such as chrome tanned leather). A head knife will do the job, but sometimes the rotary cutter is easier.

Bobby

As much as I have some good knives and appreciate them, I still use a rotary cutter daily. I use mine to rough cut linings and then trim linings after glueing. I cut my soft leather with them next to a plastic or metal ruler as a straight edge. They are the fastest way I know of to cut deer reliably. Press down on the ruler to hold it and run the blade on the edge. To straighten the backs on sides of everything from 3/4 to skirting I have 6 foot ruler from Ace and run my roller cutter along the edge. On the 15 oz or up it won't cut all the way through but scores it enough that a round knife will track right down the scoreline and finish the job as fast as I can push.

For thinner leather, I just use scissors.

The $15 top of the line (for cheap crap) scissors at Wal-Mart will cut 2/3 oz veg tan like it was paper, 4/5 oz fairly easily, and 6/7 oz with a little effort and colorful vocabulary.

I use the rotary cutter on any leather that will stretch or creep when you try to cut it. I've only used the Fiskars 65mm, so I can't say which is best. I have bought some much cheaper ones with smaller blades thinking they would be better for curves, but I haven't tried them yet.

Kevin