Menolly

How Do I Put In A Hatband?

I made a few hats and would like to put a hatband in them. Hopefully, I can still do it, since they are done. Can anyone explain how its done? Seems like just glueing it would not be very secure. What oz skin do I use for the band? Thanks!

post-17944-044287200 1309662753_thumb.jp

post-17944-054636600 1309662767_thumb.jp

post-17944-029546500 1309662782_thumb.jp

post-17944-055072600 1309662800_thumb.jp

I would use something under 4 oz and I would sew it into place. you can tack it in 3 or 4 places. If you glue it on it would be difficult to change it later. Rob

I've put leather sweat bands in a couple hats for myself using a backstitch. I used about a 2/3 oz leather. The bad news is, after sweating and getting the band wet, when it dries, sometimes it shrinks so much, you can't get the hat on. Since your hats are heavier, you may not have that problem. If I were to try it again, I would try to check out some hat suppliers websites to see if sweat bands are made of a specially treated type of leather.

Good luck,

Kevin

I made a few hats and would like to put a hatband in them. Hopefully, I can still do it, since they are done. Can anyone explain how its done? Seems like just glueing it would not be very secure. What oz skin do I use for the band? Thanks!

I used 2-3oz "used" garment leather. I made a backing strip which attached to the sweatband with a welt. The 3 parts were sewn together but NOT sewn end to end. I was able to glue the backing strip to the hat, letting the ends overlap so it could give some when soaked. The way I did this allows me to fold out the wet sweatband to dry. I always store the hat with the wooden stretcher in place and it always fits when I take it out to wear. Hope this helps.

post-21615-051463500 1309731376_thumb.jp

Do you guys think 1.5-2 oz goat skin split would work or would pigskin be better? I am having trouble picturing what you mean SouthTexas. I am not familiar with what a backstrip or welt do. unsure.gif

The "pores" in pigskin go all the way through, so it has excellent breathability.

Kevin