entiendo

Buttons

Here's a topic I didn't even know was up for discussion. I assumed everyone tightened their buttons but apparently not. I want to know what YOU do, and I'd like to see examples if your buttons if possible. I'll include examples of buttons that I do a lot of. I tighten just about as tight as I can get away with. All the herringbone buttons have other buttons under them for a better shape, those too are tight.

post-6663-045249400 1309714661_thumb.jpg

post-6663-097178200 1309714722_thumb.jpg

For the most part I find it is best to tie them tight. If you have a rawhide button of much size tightening them after that fact isn't usually very easy. What I've seen happen is they get to tight before you get all the way done and you end up with a big chunk of slack that you can't get pulled through somewhere.

The ones that I will tie loose and then tighten would be lone stars on the end of something. I'll tie them on something bigger transfer and tighten.

when i do the knots right on something i try to do them tight and then just check the tension when done....but then if im putting knots on a leash or something ill tie the pineapple knot around my finger and then put it on and tighten it....because i use a lacing needle i have to be careful about tension or the needle can damage the lace. ill try and take pictures but the last few have been so bad i wont post them...

I am shocked! Really I am. I had no idea. Maybe not so shocked with the rawhide as that can be hard to work with and doesn't it kind of shrink after it's dry? , But roo. How tight would a foundation knot need to be so you wouldn't have to tighten it? I'm dying to try it now. I had no idea I should have been working toward this goal. And what about Spanish rings? Are those the same? What about a 4 bight gaucho slide?

Of course more opinions and pictures are needed. I've seen most of the work you all do but I never considered someone didn't go back and tighten their buttons.

Interesting subject. I just put a nose button on a bosal that was all kangaroo with a twisted rawhide core. It started with 5 strings and I didn't leave enough room to turn back for the 2nd time and it jumped over the ring button foundation and I couldn't keep it from pulling over and ended up taking it apart and starting over. All other buttons are tied and then tightened to take slack out. Brad

So you went back and tightened the buttons Brad? I didn't quite understand.

Oh, and was going to look at KAW's stuff and he knows that flat herringbone braid someone was looking for. Sadly I didn't see any kangaroo just rawhide and a bit of calf. I would have loved to ask him if he tightens. Damn his stuff is so good. Almost brings tears to my eyes to see the perfection and detail!

FYI...Just looking through Gail Hought's first book. She said most buttons look better if gently tightened. She said Spanish rings will always need to be tightened, same for 6 bight turks with a herringbone interweave, I'm assuming the same for the smaller 4 bight with a gaucho interweave, but she didn't mention those specifically. She did say pineapple button or 6 bight gaucho won't usually need tightened if the proper sized string is used. Funny how I missed all that and I've never when back to reference it either, until now. I braid my foundation so I can easily get the interweave in. I hate it when it's a struggle to get the interweave in, but now I'll be looking at things differently and I really want to try.

Edited by entiendo

I think what happened i s I didn't snug up on the start and when came back it was to loose to hold the foundation. I pulled it apart and made new strings as the old got a little frayed. On straight rawhide buttons I tie loose and go back and take slack out. The 5 strings I took out will be used for bracelets or foundations so no loss. Brad

I see now. Kangaroo is great! It can be used over if you need to take it apart. I just love the stuff.

I haven't had a chance to make a long button that I don't have to tighten, but I'm dying to try. Something tells me that I won't be able to resist taking a bit of slack out out of habit, but we'll see. Old habits are hard to break.

I don't know if anyone is still with me but I did a couple of long pineapple buttons. I made the turks head of the first pretty snug. Not tight. I had to be very careful lifting the string with my fid the last couple of passes in some areas. I had some parallels hidden cause they were tight. I rolled and shaped the button. I didn't like it. The button itself was pretty nice, and I was happy with the look, but the bights on the ends wouldn't taper down right. They didn't fit perfectly snug against the plaiting I had put the button on. I didn't pull out a whole lot of slack, but I did tighten it up. Anyone have this trouble with roo, or am I not making my turks head tight enough?

The next button gave up on because the two buttons needed to be the same.

I should probably be more specific on the button issue. My multiple string buttons go on with one pass and no tightening but my single ring or side buttons and heel knots all have to be pulled down to finish. By one pass I mean I keep it tight from the start and enough room to fit and finish without going back and pulling snug. Maybe just lucky. Brad

I'll try to post pictures when my Gkids are here. They can figure this photo thing out better then me. I've noticed that at 58 I'm a generation or 2 behind computer literacy. I'm just happy to be able to visit here and other forums and learn and share a little bit. Brad PS I was just thinking about computers in High School. They filled an entire building and spit out cards that made no sense to me.

I'm going to post some pic's of the rein project in the forum on my first rein project. But I wanted to also post something here because since I'm seeing that when I wasn't needing to tighten my buttons I think it was because my lace was too wide and by the time I got all that lace in there it was so tight, was hiding strands ect.... But if ya look at the pic's of what my buttons look like now that I cut the lace alittle narrower, when I am done with a button there is alittle adjusting to do. Not a whole lot but just snug it up a bit after I roll it. So I'm with you in thinking that almost every button needs alittle adjustment but I've not done any real big ones or multi string ones yet to know on those.

Yeah, sometimes you really have to dig out a parallel when the buttons get really tight. Once you do a bunch of buttons you'll know when you need to dig those strings up...carefully...at least that's what happened to me.

I'd really really like to see pictures of buttons and be sure to tell me if you tightened or didn't go back and tightened.

Yeah, sometimes you really have to dig out a parallel when the buttons get really tight. Once you do a bunch of buttons you'll know when you need to dig those strings up...carefully...at least that's what happened to me.

I'd really really like to see pictures of buttons and be sure to tell me if you tightened or didn't go back and tightened.

Gday all , good subject !!!

I use a brass needle that the leather screws into the end and I tie my buttons /knots straight onto the job , I try to keep an even amout of tention as I form my knot

towards the end the knot gets very tight , but out of habit I will see if I can get it any tighter with my fib , then roll it and cutpost-12723-047823800 1310538899_thumb.jp

With my nosebuttons on my bosals 32 strand , 4 strings 8 bite then interweave , I have not had to retighten one yet because as I said I try to keep even tention and as you form the knot it becomes very tight

post-12723-013071000 1310538213_thumb.jp

So I dont know what the answer is but sometimes I do have to sometimes I dont and sometimes I just do out of HABIT !!!!!

It might just have to be up to you !!!

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

Edited by Bevan

I figured nose buttons wouldn't need to be tightened.

Yes there have been times when I thought the knot was tight enough and I still tightened the button. There have been times where I've only pulled out a bit of slack. If the string can handle the tension I go for it. I thought tighter was better. I

bags024-1.jpg

i like to tie my knots and buttons on a mandrel. then tighten it up. you gotta remember that it gets TIGHTER as you tighten it up!