Sign in to follow this  
Nooj

Sheath For An Old Knife, And Flask Cover.

A friend at work wanted a sheath for a knife he's had since he was a little boy; he's in his late 50's now. So, I wanted to make him something nice. I did a lot of wedging on the welting and belt loop area, that I've never done before, and tried something different with the retention strap. It works... There are a bunch of lil things I'd 'fix' if I made the same one again though, lol.

post-14247-088400700 1312317861_thumb.jp post-14247-041957300 1312317878_thumb.jp post-14247-019055800 1312317895_thumb.jp post-14247-028965100 1312317907_thumb.jp

And I had this cheap old flask laying around so I made a wrap for it. This is 5/6 oz "Royal Meadow" side that I just got from Tandy, and it's also the first time I've used leather this thin. The amount of stretch kinda threw it out of whack... I may have trimmed this from the belly, can't remember. Plus, I got it crooked when I glued it on, and ripped a stitch hole while sewing the back. Pay no mind to my lack of carving skill- that circle kicked my butt. The big N in the circle is something I've used as my "Nooj" symbol for years. Maybe I should get a makers stamp of it.

post-14247-037055900 1312317921_thumb.jp post-14247-010806000 1312317941_thumb.jp

Just thought I'd share :-) Thanks for looking!

Nooj

Nooj:

Both look good to me. We always notice our own mistakes before anyone else and we always know what we could do better the next time around. Thats what makes leather work so enjoyable. Keep up the good work and yes, circles can be a gear sometimes.

I don't see why that wouldn't make a great maker's mark Nooj.

I like both of them, practice makes perfect, lots of practice lol. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments, yall :-) I'm gonna keep practicing. I just hope I catch the mistakes beforehand, not afterwards, lol.

Nooj