ramrod

Old Stitching Horses

i was delivering on my route last friday afternoon down in the cornell area. i passd by an antiques barn (i must see a thousand of them) and wasn't particularly interested in what they were offering. but, i happened to look over as i was driving and saw what looked like 3 stitching horses. i thought "can't be" but i turned around anyway to take a closer look. sure enough, there were 3 of them sitting there. she wanted 40 bucks each for them (i believe she was selling them on consignment). i said that she probably could get much more for them, but she told me that the farmer who brought them in only wanted that much for them.

inside of the place, she had another one that had 3 legs - that was the way it was made. unusual, i know - and i should have gotten a pic of that one.

she also had several stitching ponies of unusual design. all of this stuff is quite old and has nice patina to it.

i was looking for a stitching horse for a long time and finally had my brother make me a rather nice one. now that i'm no longer in the market, i end up seeing these!

if this isn't in the correct forum, please feel free to move it.

also, i hope the pic sizing is o.k.

post-18720-056681200 1312839208_thumb.jp

post-18720-006930100 1312839231_thumb.jp

What a find.....I don't need one, but for that price, I am sure others on here could.

Thanks for sharing!

The one in the middle looks like a Randall, we had 2 or 3 at the shop, but they have disappeared over the years.

Kevin

Cool. I'd gladly pay $40 for one of those. Well, if I had $40...

It would cost that in materials to make a new one, but it wouldn't have nearly as much character.

I'd love to have one, but the shipping to get it here would kill me. What a great find.

The one in the middle looks like a Randall, we had 2 or 3 at the shop, but they have disappeared over the years.

Kevin

these horses have loads of character. and probably a lot of stories to tell.

so, each one is distinctive then? i didn't realize that anyone could tell a manufacturer. any idea on age?

there was a very interesting pony there, too. it had a sort of cam used to open the jaws. it worked against the jaws when you pushed down on it. i'll see if i can post that pic, too.

Edited by ramrod

here are the pics. that one pony is really interesting.

post-18720-067185500 1312934047_thumb.jp

post-18720-053192400 1312934063_thumb.jp

That cam pony is really neat. Are you considering buying it? I wonder if it would be easier to use than the one I currently have? And if it would grip strongly enough?

:blahblahblah:

Ah, I do go on. I envy you that store ramrod. Nothing half so nice around here, and it's usually been where the packrats and mice have been at it. Usually unusable or they want to sell it for too much money. The last stitching horse I saw around here wasn't nearly so nice or in such good repair as any of those horses or ponys. It had a price of $210--I think I'll attempt to make one for that price!

I have a cam pony like the one on the right.

I have a cam pony like the one on the right.

What do you think of it King's X? Should I start looking around myself for one? I have a pony, but I'm thinking a cam type might be easier for me to work with.

And your friend's maul is doing me a lot of good, by the way. It also took everything a bunch Boy Scouts dished out too, and the boys who used the maul liked the better control they had over the mallet.

bear - i toyed with buying it, but i have other things on my plate. to be honest, i didn't look closely at the price. i'll be more than happy to price it out for you the next time i'm in the area. i can't imagine it being more than 20 bucks or so (considering that the horses are only 40 bucks!). and postage to send it would be only a few bucks. i did work the cam and it felt pretty substantial - as in, it felt like it had a lot of clamping power.

What do you think of it King's X? Should I start looking around myself for one? I have a pony, but I'm thinking a cam type might be easier for me to work with.

And your friend's maul is doing me a lot of good, by the way. It also took everything a bunch Boy Scouts dished out too, and the boys who used the maul liked the better control they had over the mallet.

Bear.....that is going to be the key. Mine had a bit of play, but I was able to take it completely apart and trim it bit to it's current state. Personally, if Ramrod is generously offering to negotiate a pick up for you and mailing...I would definitely go for it. I love me clam pony. Mount a base plate and it will work great for sitting situations where you want to stitch.

Your awesome Ramrod. Way to help out!

Very cool!

YES! Please do! If I can manage the cost, I think I'd love to have it, and I'd gladly pay the shipping too. In return for the favor, can I send you a little something from this area that you might have a problem getting in New York? I have a plain pony, but the wingnut is really hard for me to use as I have a bad wrist, and the twisting makes it ache fiercely. That little cam lever may make all the difference in the world.

King's, it was a hit. The first thing they ask when they come to a meeting to work on their project is "Can I use the maul for this?"

I use a cam lever that I paid like $7 bucks for at the Woodcraft store. They are gold and made from aluminum, but the bolt is steel. They are used for varies machine jigs. I was worth the exchange from the typical t-nut. This store also carries other handles that might work for you. Check them out.

Well, the local stores don't have a lever cam that is long enough in stock. I've put one on order though, so we'll see. Thanks for the idea King's X.

Bear.....that is going to be the key. Mine had a bit of play, but I was able to take it completely apart and trim it bit to it's current state. Personally, if Ramrod is generously offering to negotiate a pick up for you and mailing...I would definitely go for it. I love me clam pony. Mount a base plate and it will work great for sitting situations where you want to stitch.

Your awesome Ramrod. Way to help out!

Very cool!

yes, i'm offering and i'm glad to do it. sorry for the late reply. i just got in not too long ago - family reunion.

bear.....something i can't get out east, huh? wow! i love a mystery. LOL

yes, i'll price this out for you ASAP. i'm not down by that store every day, but i'll see if i can stop in and get the particulars. then i can maybe pick it up on my way back at the end of the day if you want it. i promise to keep you posted.

Edited by ramrod

In this age of the internet, "can't" is fluid. But something that might be difficult back east? A muley antler shed might be a possibility (kinda the wrong season, but I could stuff my face into the local shops and see if the tourists left any--I really think we are out of luck on that one until spring though). Tines and brow tines are more probable, maybe an elk rosette if I am lucky. Other possibilities? Huckleberry jam? Jackalope stuff?

well, winterbear i really HATE to tell you this. and i'm sorry to have raised your hopes. i check the price of that clamp. $125. i almost fell over. i went into the store with such optimism.

i want to apologize for not getting the price of that clamp (even if out of curiosity) when i made my initial visit. aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

now, i did not get a chance to talk to the owner about a rather large price reduction. the place was crawling with people (on a tuesday afternoon??!!) i still want to do that.

the other 2 clamps are $32 and $35 but a bit small in jaw length.

:jawdropper:Holy snot. Maybe it's the double curve of the sides that makes it so expensive?

possibly, along with it's age, size and the cam mechanism. it looks like walnut wood. the jaws are about 6 inches wide. most clamps are about 4 inches.

Maybe I should research how difficult it would be to bend my own then?

bending your own is not totally out of the question. building a steam box wouldn't be too difficult. the biggest problem would be in getting both of them to match exactly. you'd need to build a jig somehow - out of a plank and dowels. it could be done. i wish i had a better solution.

Heh, I was thinking making a jig out of a couple of sections of heavy walled PVC or steel pipe for the curves, and oak or hemlock for the rest. I should be able to build a steam box fairly easily and should be able to steam 1/2" thick to 1" thick planks--red oak or alder, cherry if I can get a hold of it. The hard part would be the cam, I think. Oh well, it'll give me something to do when the weather's nasty this winter.

the cam would be the toughest part of the whole thing. how about a threaded rod wth a handle to open the jaws? if you can bend the jaws, that would be half of the battle.

i really pick up the pace on leatherwork when the weather gets bad. i'd rather stay inside during a storm than be outside.

i was delivering on my route last friday afternoon down in the cornell area. i passd by an antiques barn (i must see a thousand of them) and wasn't particularly interested in what they were offering. but, i happened to look over as i was driving and saw what looked like 3 stitching horses. i thought "can't be" but i turned around anyway to take a closer look. sure enough, there were 3 of them sitting there. she wanted 40 bucks each for them (i believe she was selling them on consignment). i said that she probably could get much more for them, but she told me that the farmer who brought them in only wanted that much for them.

inside of the place, she had another one that had 3 legs - that was the way it was made. unusual, i know - and i should have gotten a pic of that one.

she also had several stitching ponies of unusual design. all of this stuff is quite old and has nice patina to it.

i was looking for a stitching horse for a long time and finally had my brother make me a rather nice one. now that i'm no longer in the market, i end up seeing these!

if this isn't in the correct forum, please feel free to move it.

also, i hope the pic sizing is o.k.

If you get by this place again please advise. I see this post is a couple months old but I just joined today becasue I was looking for a stitching horse. Or maybe give name or phone # and I can contact directly. Many thanks from a newbie.

Edited by lawrencek