SilenzZzz

Hello From North Louisiana

Hello there, the name is Freddy...

i am 37 years old .. married with an 18 year old boy ...

Leatherworking is something i have been interested in since childhood (thanks to scouts, both boy and cub) ... my mother and my grandparents were leaders as well so i have been around it all my life not just when i was an active member.

recently with a job change i started looking back over my life and trying to do things that i once enjoyed doing (funny how loosing a job can make you rethink everything) ... i have found another job but it is not something i really enjoy (it does pay the bills tho hah!) ... so here is where i come to this site ...

not to long ago i found the boxes of my mothers and grandparents old tools and books ... (they have all passed away sadly, my mother being most recent at almost 2 years ago) so i have started organizing them and seeing what is missing and what i need to get.

i am honestly more interested in making items out of leather then i am in the actual designwork on the leather... (not sure if there is a term difference between the two) ... so i know quite a few of the items i have will not get much use... but who knows once i get started more i may change my mind on it.

i know some of these tools are cheaper ones, with a few likely being in the 70+ year old group .. which ones i am not sure ... my grandparents were born in the early 1900's and my mom in the 40's ... and she was still doing a little leather crafting when she passed away, making sheaths for my step-fathers hand made knives. (though for the past few years she was just using pre cut kits that she would decorate and dye) ...

i am attaching the photo's of what i have found so far ... i know there should be another box or two ... but there are so many boxes hah and it is hard to go through them still with some of the memories that come back ...

looking for some input on a possible tool or two .. or even a kit (that is geared more around cutting, sewing and shaping instead of just design work like the tandy ones seem to be) ....

books.JPG

tool1.JPG

tool2.JPG

tool3.JPG

tool4.JPG

tool5.JPG

tool6.JPG

tool7.JPG

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

You've got a good starter set of tools for basic decorations, and a set of chisels and rotary punch for punching lacing holes....some modeling tools, and some odds and ends. Looking at the modeling tools, it appears they are the most used, so I guess one of your forebears did a lot of hand decoration. Don't worry about it, you've either got it or you don't, and there have been things posted on here made with a manicure set that were just absolutely beautiful. Since you're more interested in building instead of decorating, I suggest keeping them for sentimental sake....and you might need one, one day.

In any case, we're glad you found us. So, pull up a chair and stay a while. Coffee should be fresh, bathrooms are down the hall on the left, and don't eat the donuts.

If you're interested in sewing some pieces together, you'll need to get a few other tools- mainly a decent awl for punching stitch holes, some needles, and some thread. I got my awl from Tandy (Springfield Leather has the same type), my needles from Walmart (upholstery type), and my thread from Hobby Lobby (On-a-string brand waxed linen). There's a TON of info here for free, or you can invest in some leathercraft books from several of our suppliers (see ad banners at top of page). Ask questions as often as you like, but be ready for a lot of reading in the answers.

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

You've got a good starter set of tools for basic decorations, and a set of chisels and rotary punch for punching lacing holes....some modeling tools, and some odds and ends. Looking at the modeling tools, it appears they are the most used, so I guess one of your forebears did a lot of hand decoration. Don't worry about it, you've either got it or you don't, and there have been things posted on here made with a manicure set that were just absolutely beautiful. Since you're more interested in building instead of decorating, I suggest keeping them for sentimental sake....and you might need one, one day.

In any case, we're glad you found us. So, pull up a chair and stay a while. Coffee should be fresh, bathrooms are down the hall on the left, and don't eat the donuts.

If you're interested in sewing some pieces together, you'll need to get a few other tools- mainly a decent awl for punching stitch holes, some needles, and some thread. I got my awl from Tandy (Springfield Leather has the same type), my needles from Walmart (upholstery type), and my thread from Hobby Lobby (On-a-string brand waxed linen). There's a TON of info here for free, or you can invest in some leathercraft books from several of our suppliers (see ad banners at top of page). Ask questions as often as you like, but be ready for a lot of reading in the answers.

thanks for the info and welcome! ... the modeling tools would be the two bodies with the different heads correct? ... if so those i believe were my grandfathers so i would imagine they did get a good amount of use ... i am honestly not sure how old they are though ... only branding on them is Xacto (the blade company) ... i will be holding onto all of what was pictured because of who they belonged to ... maybe one day i will use some of them ... never quite got the hang of decorating .. but i always enjoyed cutting and lacing and sewing ...

i am lucky to have a Hobby Lobby here but that is about it ... never really looked at Walmart for anything .. didn't think about them for needles will have to pick up some next time i am there .. because it is one thing for sure i need ... that and the awl ... hoping to find it locally instead of having to pay shipping but not that lucky so far ... would it be worth picking up on of the peices that has the wheels on it to mark the stitch holes as well? ...

right now saving a little out of each paycheck to pick up a few bigger peices of leather to start working with .. i have tons of small pieces and scraps .. but only a few of them are big enough to make anything out of ... and those parts are varied on their thickness a lot ... not sure if it would stretch or tear if i tried to form it ... guess i could sew all the scraps together to make one larger peice though lol! ...

i have already been reading on the forum over the past week ... still got a lot more reading and browsing to do ... a lot of good information here ... and seems to have constant activity which is a good thing!

WELCOME!!! Looks like you got a good start. I know getting back to leather crafting recently has made me happy and more relax these days. So enjoy!