Sign in to follow this  
JDM

Cutting Board As Maul Head Material?

I'm in need of a maul. I'm dealing with very limited funds, so I need to make my own. I've noticed Walmart has cheap, fairly thin, plastic cutting boards for only a few dollars each. One should provide enough material. Harbor Freight has a cheap (surely in quality as well as price) hole saw set for something like $6 (always use a 20% off coupon there) that goes up to 2.5".

Just wondering if anyone has tried using discs of cutting board to make a maul, and if so, how well it worked out. Would rawhide (dog chews) be a better way to go?

Hi JDM,

Cutting boards are made out of HDPE(High Density Polyethylene), which work great for cutting boards as they are tough, cut resistant, & slippery when put under any pressure. The slippery part is one main reason they don't work all that great as maul head material. But,,, that being said,,, it beats the heck out of nothing! Just make sure after you've assembled the maul, to sand the surface with some rough,,, 50 grit paper,,, to help give it some bite. Eventually, it will loose it's bite,,, & the tools will start slipping off when you hit them. Just re-sand, & it will be Ok again for a while. With the cost of buying the hole cutter, the cutting board, & all the other stuff you need to make your own,,, for about $30.00 more you could get a 16oz maul from Barry King for about $55.00,,, also I believe my Son is still making the white head mauls for about the same price. But,,, what you have in mind will work. Hope this helps,,, Ed the"BearMan"

P.S.,,, making a rawhide head maul is a LOT more work!

Thanks for the info.

I don't mind the work. I have time, but very little money. I've read a thread or two here about making heads using rawhide. Seems like that would be a better way to go for a longer lasting, better quality tool.

Kind of little word of caution. I use the Walmart/Kmart cutting boards to make up press forms for molded cases. The material works good for that. They are alright to cut on also. Where I had problems was using them for a punching surface for end punches or round punches. Most would crack or break in pretty short order. YMMV, but if they are going to be used for pounding on a stamp, it might be an issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by JDM

I understand about cost being an objective, but consider what is available at McMaster Carr. 2-1/2" Impact resistant PVC is $21/Ft. which is 2-3 heads worth of material.

There may be others that will work, but this is about the lowest cost.

Reference copied from thier site:

rod.gifPer Ft. In stock for $21.10 per ft. PVC

PVC Material

Impact-Resistant PVC (Type II)

Backing

Plain Back

Finish

Smooth

Shape

Rods and Discs

Rods and Discs Type

Rod