Sign in to follow this  
AlvinT

Need Help Id'ing A Part

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a leather camera strap, and I've been looking for a particular type of fastener that appears to be more commonly used in the past.

I've taken a picture of a sample that I have, and would be grateful if someone could let me know what these are commonly known by.

It is a narrow bar/tube with two caps fixed to each end. A leather strap then has 2 slots with a hole punched, and this thingy fits through both openings and holds the strap together.

I hope this made sense.

post-15235-002321100 1313230435_thumb.jp

post-15235-072136500 1313230425_thumb.jp

Any pointers or tips would be much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Alvin

although I can't see both sides of the part in question I looks like a chicago screw found in almost every leather/hardware site

Hi,

thanks, but from what I understand, a chicago screw has a screw on one end. The bit that I have is fixed, ie, it has a cap on both ends which are not removable.

These were fairly commonly used on older leather camera straps, and I'm looking for a source for them

Thanks anyway.

Alvin

although I can't see both sides of the part in question I looks like a chicago screw found in almost every leather/hardware site

Alvin,

I can't be of much more help. I got some in a deal a few years ago in set I bought. They were in a parts drawer labeled "bolts". I have seen longer ones in Weavers or Beilers catalog and I think they call them bolts too. They are a solid cast piece, not threaded with a post and screw. Maybe Ohio Travel Bag?

They are in the Weaver supply catalog, page 150, in the reenactment hardware, listed as 5/8", # 1332 Button Stud. Hope this helps.

Hi Ronald and Bruce,

thank you for your help.

Ronald, yes, those do look like that I'm looking for; will be getting in touch with Weaver to confirm it.

Once again, thanks for the assist.

regards,

Alvin

They are in the Weaver supply catalog, page 150, in the reenactment hardware, listed as 5/8", # 1332 Button Stud. Hope this helps.

They are brass button studs. We use them in the british cavalry to attach sword slings to our belts. You can get them in 3 sizes. The companys to try are Abby saddlery and Leprovo Leather in the United Kingdom. oth companys have web sites. If not PM me and I will try and help you