Mick

Motorcycle Heat Deflector

Hi....I apologize if this has been covered many times, my search techniques don't always work...I didn't find anything that seemed applicable when I did search.

Here's the story. We just bought another motorcycle for my wife, a VTX1300R, it has Vance&Hines pipes on it, and due to the curve/positioning of them, her leg is in close proximity, esp when she's parking or backing. I'm thinking that a flap of leather hanging down between her leg and the pipe may be the cure, but what I'm wondering is if I should go ahead and get some My link to put on/in/etc.

Please tell me how you would go about making a heat deflector/shield. thansk

V&H pipes come with a heat shield installed over the pipes already. It still gets hot enough to melt a rubber sole but as long as she's wearing proper attire (jeans or chaps) it shouldn't be an issue even if her leg actually rubs the pipes.

If her leg is laying against the pipes when stopped then it's more of a bike height issue and lowering the backend would be a proper fix (lower stance would allow her legs to bow more naturally) and if her leg is resting on the pipes while riding/moving then it's a peg placement issue or it has the wrong pipes on it.

Back to the immediate question though...the main problem I see with this is the leather itself will either A) flop around when riding causing it to whip against her leg if not secured B) if secured, the combination of heat & friction will end up marring, charring and/or stretching the leather over time if it is secured top & bottom. Not to mention the possibility that the leather once dried out from the heat would end up marring the chrome on the pipes from rubbing against them constantly (wind turbulance, vibration, etc.)

Your best bet is to check the possible issues/fixes above or make her a set of leather gators for riding. There was a good article two issues ago in the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal specifically on making them.Here's a website that makes them with some decent pics: http://www.leatherlegs.net/

Edited by Spinner

Hi....I apologize if this has been covered many times, my search techniques don't always work...I didn't find anything that seemed applicable when I did search.

Here's the story. We just bought another motorcycle for my wife, a VTX1300R, it has Vance&Hines pipes on it, and due to the curve/positioning of them, her leg is in close proximity, esp when she's parking or backing. I'm thinking that a flap of leather hanging down between her leg and the pipe may be the cure, but what I'm wondering is if I should go ahead and get some My link to put on/in/etc.

Please tell me how you would go about making a heat deflector/shield. thansk

my advice, and something a lot of my friends do, is to strap an old license plate around the pipe. if you want it to look pretty, you could have it painted or chromed. works great as an additional heat shield.

Hey there.. I have the same problem on Softail. Vance & Hines pipes and I've burned through 4 pairs of slacks and 1 Winter Riding Suit. I can't afford that. I found this product called the "Crotch Cooler" http://bit.ly/r5ULvY .. I'm very happy with it, and were I able to leather work I'd have made my own.

When I received it, the first thing i notice was the thickness of the hyde. Very thick, and it's several layers as well.

Just exactly what you were talking about.

I hope this helps..

Hey there.. I have the same problem on Softail. Vance & Hines pipes and I've burned through 4 pairs of slacks and 1 Winter Riding Suit. I can't afford that. I found this product called the "Crotch Cooler" http://bit.ly/r5ULvY .. I'm very happy with it, and were I able to leather work I'd have made my own.

When I received it, the first thing i notice was the thickness of the hyde. Very thick, and it's several layers as well.

Just exactly what you were talking about.

I hope this helps..

Good ole Capt Itch Crotch cooler! Larry makes some very cool stuff, his holsters are darn good as well. And to top it off, he's a really nice guy.