Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

Some Questions About Butt/ammo Cuffs.

Hey everyone, I've tried two of these and haven't been 100% happy with either of them thus far. My two major problems are this: 1) the ammo belt itself even after pulling tight with pliers loosens up almost immediately, and 2) unless laced extremely (almost uncomfortably) tight the cuff itself wants to shift forward. I have no solution for the first issue but was thinking either a rough out or lined cuff would solve the slipping issue?

Any help is appreciated!

post-19170-089661100 1314745892_thumb.jp

post-19170-090212400 1314745921_thumb.jp

post-19170-085726800 1314745975_thumb.jp

i have no experience making them but one thing you could try is to add a band that goes around the back similar tot his image. It should solve your problem with the band wanting to slide forward. I guess it also depends on the rifle, but on one like my M1a or say a Garand you could make it long enough to hug the lines of the grip area, this should prevent it from having any room to move forward. This would not be possible on a rifle like my mosin as it has no curve where you grip. But putting a strap that hugs the butt of the rifle in those cases should solve that problem.

looking at the lever action rifle you have there, you wouldn't even need a big butt band like this image i'm posting, but just a little over the top and bottom perhaps.

cheek%20rest%20website.jpg

Edited by Guy W

here is an image of a check rest on a mosin nagant, while synthetic you can see has the band that goes around the butt of the rifle. it's pretty common to do this on a rifle that doesn't have a curve for the grip that you can run the leather up to for support.

ACU_1_14.jpg

On your shotgun I don't see why the leather would move forward once it's wedged up good and tight to the grip. I'd just make the leather longer towards the rear of the rifle.

Thank you Guy, I guess I need to try a band for this. I have seen the totally capped ends but frankly even though I understand the molding process I don't have any idea how to go about stitching that.

Regarding the shotgun I think the combination of no real 'grip' on the rough side of the leather and the synthetic stock are allowing it a little play. This is why I was considering lining the piece for a little more grab.