Sign in to follow this  
IanCantwell

Stirrup Leathers

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there that can give me advice on manf. stirrup leathers to lace? In the past I've used blevins, cut my leathers to 68", extended the fender by about 9" then doubled up on it and rivetted everything together. I wondered what length to cut the leather if I'm using the lace up method, whether I add anything to the bottom of the fender to go around the stirrup, what sort of spacing the lace holes should be and how close to the edge. Also i need to know if there is a normal lacing pattern. Any good pics would also be useful, thanks. Ian.

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there that can give me advice on manf. stirrup leathers to lace? In the past I've used blevins, cut my leathers to 68", extended the fender by about 9" then doubled up on it and rivetted everything together. I wondered what length to cut the leather if I'm using the lace up method, whether I add anything to the bottom of the fender to go around the stirrup, what sort of spacing the lace holes should be and how close to the edge. Also i need to know if there is a normal lacing pattern. Any good pics would also be useful, thanks. Ian.

First you need to extend the turn back of the fender at lest 15 " Go ahead and cut your leathers at 68'

Ian,

There may well have been some spacing norms, but not that I have seen written. It may have been a shop to shop individual thing. As far as patterns, I check them out in the museums. You kind of have to accept that whoever restored or put them on display might have follwed customs. The holes are generally punched near the edges of the leathers, in maybe 1/2". Most of what I see is a single lace that is fed through a pair of holes, and then each end is whipped through the holes and around the edges for the length used. The tag ends hang loose. I have seen them started at the top mostly and whipped down. Some are started at the bottom and go up. Others I have seen done in a crossing X braid, and the ends are either trimmed or left between the leathers. The lace doesn't go around the edge of the leathers in these. I don't know of there was a regional things with these patterns or not. Buckarooguide hasn't gone there yet.

Cheers Guys,

That'll do fine, I guessed there'd be lots of variations but you've given me good advice.

Got my tree ordered for the Hope, about 3 months delivery so doing my research and gathering all the bits I'll need. Interested to learn from the thread on dyeing leather black using iron, think I'll give that a trial.

Thanks again, Ian.

Edited by IanCantwell

May I suggest that you punch the holes to match horizontal post Blevins Buckles. The holes work great for lacing, then when the owner decides that the nostalgic laces are a pain, it will be very easy to convert them to the quick change.