Sign in to follow this  
Mactechbri

Awl Right!

Fellow amateurs,

I have been struggling with a stitching awl that I thought was ready to go when I bought it. Not knowing any better sucks.

I have bent the tip a few times and straightened it back out. It was tough to go through even one layer of leather.

I was thinking "Wow, these guys must really be strong to get theirs through several layers of thicker leather than I have."

Well I have sanded the tip down to be a bit more blunt instead of the easily bent "syringe" like tip that it had. I have also polished it a bit to take some of the machine marks out of it. I didnt do too much as I think I could go a little too far and ruin a good thing.

The results are awesome. I can go through two layers somewhat easily and three is do-able. The holes are now more diamond shaped and cleaner than before.

So if you have the same problems I have had, sand it down a bit and polish it up and it will work better.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The only way that an awl will work easily, is if it's sharp, & smooth. 99% of the awls out there, you have to sharpen & polish, after you get them. If you can, avoid all the frustration, & get a Douglas awl. Sheridan leather has them. They ain't cheap,, but they are worth it!

Ed

With a properly sharpened awl, you should be able to push the blade through SEVERAL layers of leather with no problems. Three should be easy, not just "doable". Read a few of the threads we have here about sharpening an awl, and invest in some rouge to make a strop.

The biggest challenge I had to begin with, beyond sharpening, was learning how to apply consistent, unidirectional pressure to the awl so that it wouldn't wobble and flex.

Sounds like you've got that licked.