hosscomp

Cleaning Leather

I read that I should clean my tooled leather with oxalic acid solution before dying it. My local CVS drugstore didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for it. Is there another name I should ask for it by? Or will something else work as well?

I read that I should clean my tooled leather with oxalic acid solution before dying it. My local CVS drugstore didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for it. Is there another name I should ask for it by? Or will something else work as well?

I'm not sure, but I think oxalic acid is sold as "Wood Bleach" at hardware and home improvement stores, it is usually near the area where floor finishes and spackling is. However, peroxide compounds and chlorine compounds can also be marketed as wood bleach, so check the label.

most grocery stores carry Barkeeper's Friend (among the powder cleansers). It is oxalic acid.

Thanks, all.

I went to the local Kroger today and found the Bar Keeper's Friend next to the Comet. Mixed a teaspoon in a pint of water and it seemed to do fine.

Hosscomp,

Did you ask the pharmacist? If they don't know i would try another....oxalic is the correct name. It is a white powder you mix with water. You may want to call first....it helps clean any oils or lightens stains left on the leather....make sure you rinse thoroughly. Good luck!

Sandy

I have found it is best to keep the leather clean right from the start. I wear nitrate gloves whenever I work my leather if I am concerned about the finish. Most of what I make is sheaths and most of them are distresses in one way or another so It doesn't matter as much. I use raw hide a lot and lot of my vegitan gets antiqued with stains, oven cleaner, hydrochloric acid and such. blink.gif

I do wash clean my leather before stain with alcohol. That pretty much cleans off anything left on the leather.

Hosscomp,

Did you ask the pharmacist? If they don't know i would try another....oxalic is the correct name. It is a white powder you mix with water. You may want to call first....it helps clean any oils or lightens stains left on the leather....make sure you rinse thoroughly. Good luck!

Sandy

Yes, I did, Sandy. I even explained what I needed it for and that it was likely in crystal form. But the Bar Keeper's Friend does the job and costs less than $2. I went to their web site and the ingredients was listed as oxalic acid. It also works great on counter tops.

Thanks,

Ron

Yes, I did, Sandy. I even explained what I needed it for and that it was likely in crystal form. But the Bar Keeper's Friend does the job and costs less than $2. I went to their web site and the ingredients was listed as oxalic acid. It also works great on counter tops.

Thanks,

Ron

That's good to know about the Bar Keeper's Friend. You can also use 1/2 lemon rubbed on certain spots too. I am glad you found something to work for you!

Sandy