Lobo

A Very Unusual Result

One of my regular customers recently requested that I make one of my Enhanced Avenger models with neutral cant in horsehide for his S&W M&P.45. I selected a nice piece of appropriate weight and went to work. When the finishes had been applied the typical mottling seen in horsehide displayed an incredible pattern and colorations, similar to highly figured hardwoods like maple. Thought I would share the photo with you.

post-7487-019506000 1316622977_thumb.jpg

That looks very cool....I really like the "irregular" results of horse.

The color variations are one of my favorite aspects of working with horsehide. I think it gives it a really old world look.

One of my regular customers recently requested that I make one of my Enhanced Avenger models with neutral cant in horsehide for his S&W M&P.45. I selected a nice piece of appropriate weight and went to work. When the finishes had been applied the typical mottling seen in horsehide displayed an incredible pattern and colorations, similar to highly figured hardwoods like maple. Thought I would share the photo with you.

Ray, I've had a similar pattern of coloring show up in a piece of cowhide a while ago, but not quite to that extent. I like the look and if I could figure out how to determine which piece of dead animal skin would produce it, I'd buy a lot of the stuff. It should go without saying that your work is exemplary ... as expected. Mike

Honestly, that is simply stunning. I've seen the striations in horse before, but when paired with that color and that particular piece, that's definitely the most unique I've seen. Well done!

On a side note, if you take your curves nice and slow with that machine you can avoid the different stitch lengths and the need to go back over stitches already laid.

:cheers:

Honestly, that is simply stunning. I've seen the striations in horse before, but when paired with that color and that particular piece, that's definitely the most unique I've seen. Well done!

On a side note, if you take your curves nice and slow with that machine you can avoid the different stitch lengths and the need to go back over stitches already laid.

DickF: As you have noticed, my young apprentice continues to build her stitching skills!

That's why I try to avoid white thread........and drinking before noon.....

Lobo..had the same phenomenon this morning with this one...and another example why not to start pounding them too early, I stitched the strap in place backwards and didn't realize it til it was too late......it's for me so it's still a keeper.

misc093.jpg

Ya know, a zebra is, technically, a horse......

:lol:

Very cool! Would be an awesome accent if the grips were curly maple!