Sign in to follow this  
Phatdaddy

Old Stamps On Ebay

Look to be very corroded anyway. Wonder what original purpose was. Anybody able to identify these?

The one third from the right looks something like what was labeled as a bookbinder's tool in a museum I've been to. It was apparently used to add decoration in gold foil along the spine and on the covers. According to the label I saw, the tool was heated and used to sort of press/quasi-burn/stamp/bind the foil to the leather--with some sort of glue.

The one third from the right looks something like what was labeled as a bookbinder's tool in a museum I've been to. It was apparently used to add decoration in gold foil along the spine and on the covers. According to the label I saw, the tool was heated and used to sort of press/quasi-burn/stamp/bind the foil to the leather--with some sort of glue.

This is exactly right. They are bookbinder's decorative tools, which would have been fitted into a wooden (or sometimes asbestos) handle. The glue that was used to make the foil adhere to the leather is called 'glaire', and is made from stale egg-white - very smelly!

This is exactly right. They are bookbinder's decorative tools, which would have been fitted into a wooden (or sometimes asbestos) handle. The glue that was used to make the foil adhere to the leather is called 'glaire', and is made from stale egg-white - very smelly!

Nice to know I remembered rightly. The glue sounds disgusting though.